• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

This years varnyard stock.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I went back and read through the whole thread. I am being objective because I wasn't involved with Varnyard Tegus last year, and I don't have a deposit this year.

1. *I* am not going to close this thread, I'll let Josh or some of the "older" Moderators make that decision.

2. It is informative. It is an open discussion. People have relayed their experiences.

3. One of the best things about this thread it that has first hand information. People who are buying from Bobby posted and Bobby posted. I'm telling ya, deal with first had information. When it becomes a matter of so-and so told me that such-and-such said....it's usually downhill from there. ;)

Dana C

matrix05 said:
Ok I am going to ask that this thread be closed since I am the one that started it. I was just asking a general question and I in no way shape, form or fashion intended for it to get this out of control. I understand that Bobby is extremely busy and my original question has been answered so if a moderator reads this please close this thread so no one else gets the wrong idea or says anything that is in anyway inappropriate towards Varnyard Herps. Thanks and to Bobby Hill you have me deepest spologies for this getting as out of hand as it has.

I don't have any first hand experience other than not getting returned calls but this threat would not have lasted this long if "the one and only post" would have come from Bobby last November. The thread would have died from natural causes / old age long ago had the forum gotten a cogent response from Varnyard in a timely manner.

You have nothing to apologize for. You are / were a concerned customer. Bobby Hill is a businessman and like all businessmen, needs to take care of his customers in terms of product delivery and timely communication. Being "really busy" doesn't cut it for me and shouldn't for anyone else in terms of rationalizing poor service from anyone wanting to sell you or me something.

Varnyard Tegus are really nice. The lines that are sold are very colorful and I have never heard anything bad about their health etc. Are they the best available? I don't know. Are Extreme's always much larger than other T merianae? No. Are AA's really stunning in appearance? Not in my opinion. Are Varnyard Tegus any more "tame" than other Tegus? Probably not. l have an import that is wonderfully docile and "tame" if you wish and would buy another.

What I am trying so say is, Bobby Hill is not a Tegu Breeding God. He is a businessman period. No more and no less. All of you should expect no more or no less from any business owner, animal breeder / seller.

By the way, this thread or ones about the same topic were started last fall.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's pretty simple,.. either you like what he has and you choose to buy from him or you don't. Why make it any more complicated than it really is. Extreme, B&W, Blue, Red or what ever there are other breeders and other ways to get tegus.

If you like his stock then go for it, it doesn't necessarily have to come directly from him either. Since other people sell theirs from time to time.

If you don't then choose any one of the many other ways of getting one.

We've all had costumer service issues, and there will always be issues. Unfortunately that's just apart of dealing with people, whether it's worked out in a timely matter or not you deal with it, what ever decisions you make and move on.

dgates08

People need to quit bashing Bobby, i can not think of a better way he could have handled the unfortunate event of last year than by personally calling and offering to completely refund of your deposit. People need to understand that breeding lizards is more difficult than breeding say dogs, there are many more uncontrollable variables involved. And take a look at it from his perspective, as a breeder myself, not only did he suffered a significant financial loss, but a personal loss, we take responsibility and pride in our animals.
Just be patient and he will deliver.

tommylee22

Well I'm an outsider looking in, This (Bobby Hill) extreme will be my first Tegu. I've researched and googled my butt off, the info I find leads me straight to Bobby Hill. I don't know him personally but if you do the research, watch the countless youtube videos and read the reviews, you will start to see the dif. in his tegus vs others visually from current owners. I'm one of those people that once I commit to buying or owning something I research the crap out of it. I've spent months researching these animals, this is what brought me to this forum.

So Based on everything I've read and seen I feel you can say that Bobby Hill's Tegues are like the BMWs to Fords.. They all have 4 wheels and go from point A to point B but some just look/feel better doing it...
You say this post isn't bashing Bobby but at the same time it's not helping him either. I'm hear researching Tegus, currently have a deposit on one and you guys are hinting to the fact that I might not get my Tegu or I might just never hear from bobby after I give him my money. Not cool and from what I've read on this post, the bottom line is, He had some problems last year right? He also contacted everyone offering them their money back, right? This year he's taking deposits, confirming you're payment? letting us know they are due Jun/July? what else do we need from him to know when and if we can get a Tegu? His website has a ton of care info plus all his terms of business. I say he's just not into answering the 10 page emails asking everything that's already posted on his site or repeated in his videos....

I could be wrong and he could just be a terrible business person but all seems normal to me when you pre-order something that wont ship till months later.

Skeetzy

You took the words right out of my mouth. Literally every word. This thread made me somewhat nervous about putting a deposit down, when in reality it is exactly what you would get from any other pre-order. You pre-order the newest game from Gamestop, a major corporation, and all they tell you is when you can pick the game up, then call you the day before. You wouldn't expect anything more right? So why expect more from a busy man, that really has no reason to be judged. Everyone makes mistakes.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe that's why I don't think it Bobby-bashing. And it is not "you guys" ie, the forum, hinting that Bobby won't come through, it is a few people on a forum with almost 3,500 members. It could be helping him because all sorts of stuff comes out into the open. Look at what you posted, tommylee22. This is contributing to part of that research. When I buy something, I research, too. If someone has a negative rep or rating, I want to know why. Then I can make my decision about whether or not I want to do business with the person.

People have a right to express their opinions. If someone was unhappy with their PERSONAL transaction with Bobby, then they can post it and I don't consider it bashing. It is a review. Then others can choose to purchase from Bobby or not. I have a gorgeous B/W tegu from Bobby that I simply adore. She has so much personality and she is beautiful. I also had a red male from Bobby that was a beautiful tegu. I have had nothing but good transactions with Bobby and I have posted that experience on this forum, even when people said I was kissing up or defending him when he "ripped people off". I don't know the deal behind what happened last year. It wasn't my personal transaction, so I am not going to spread false information in the Internet where it can quickly damage someone's reputation. I wouldn't want to be treated that way, either.

I think there is one difference between a deposit on a live animal and Gamestop....the live animal. :) There are just a lot of variables. So caveat emptor...buyer beware. That is not a personal statement against Bobby, just a fact of life when purchasing living animals. And I do agree that he is probably overwhelmed with emails. I haven't spoken with him in a while, but I can imagine that every time a thread like pops up, he gets slammed. And sure he answers questions when people inquire in the beginning. But if same people begin asking the same or obvious questions over and over, it is time consuming.

I really just like the way Bubblz put it... buy from him or don't. :)

Dana C

This not about bashing or supporting. This and other forums are just that, a place to express ideas, recount experiences and seek or offer advice.
How do you know that the problems that people reported didn't happen? Perhaps they were eventually resolved but when? Was communication handled in a timely manner by Bobby? No. Is that bashing? No, it is reporting

No one should look for affirmation of their buying decision after the fact here or anywhere else. Some really may have had a bad experience or not. I don't know one way or the other.

As for the people doing the reporting, I think that for the most part, they were truthful. Are some "trolls". I am sure they are. Are there "me too" people on this forum? I am sure there are.

Laura and Bubblz are right on. Buy from him or don't.

william.l123

^Agreed and hey well i guess if everyone wants and comes to an agreement, we could keep this thread open and going until we all recieve this years Tegu batch of all breds he has and post pics an show em off! lol and to decrease the number of re re calls Bobby recieves from half of you all regarding the cltches and how there going etc why not label one person the designated caller lmao. if i can recall one person already did mention he said some eggs were layed etc maybe continue in that path? Just a suggestion guys you either get with it or dont
Lol Thanks

tommylee22

If this is reviewing a breeder then let those that were actually "ripped off" speak about their experience. Not those posting what they herd or what so and so said happened based on what they were told. I like the facts and only the facts. Laurarfl, you said "defending him when he "ripped people off"." then you say "I don't know the deal behind what happened last year". See I would never post something I know nothing about respectfully when it effects someone's business. When I research, I read into those that have direct experience with a supplier, bad or good.

My point in my last post was that I'm getting a lot of hear say about this Breeder and no one is speaking up with actual experience other than a returned email or phone call.

So is the point of this thread to say Bobby may or may not be quick to reply to your emails if at all or return your calls? Some are not getting responses and some are? Also to clear up the talk about last year, can anyone say they never got their money back and or Tegu? This is what I've been looking for throughout this thread. My goal in reading this thread was to get an idea as to, Will I get my tegu? Is this breeder a dirty business man? That's it...

And again I say I have no relationship and or am I trying to defend Bobby in no way, I'm only defending my research and all the facts I've read around this breeder. Why diminish the reputation of a breeder that may in some if not most opinions be the best CB breeder of these amazing animals. I sure would hate for him to loose business and eventually stop breeding all together based on what someone told my buddy that was told by someone else who...... yes I'm going to say it might be a breeder trying to get a leg up on the competition. Hate me if you want but I know business as I work for one of the largest retailers in the world, it is a dog eat dog world in this economy.

But hey on a positive note!! Lets all for sure post our new arrivals when they get here and also comment on how well and or not so well this breeder shipped our animals. Their health/quality and so on... So lets for sure keep this thread going. Hey who knows, in the end we may get everyone's questions answered.

tresh

I'm actually going to post here and say that I got a tegu from Bobby last year. His communication was excellent until we got our tegu. He took the time to talk to my husband for quite awhile about our baby, and when she was shipped, she came in excellent health and we were happy as can be.

Now, we did try to contact him when we had questions later, but emails were not answered. Which is fine, because we were nervous pet owners asking questions that had been asked a million times. THat's how I ended up finding this forum, and finding more people who know what they're talking about.

But as a breeder, and a seller, he did okay by us. So, that's one decent review of him.

And our bratchild Ammy is 38 inches as of today, and still growing and shedding and eating me out of house and home. His tegus do breed healthy beautiful babies, I'll grant that.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tommylee22, I think you just joined recently. There were quite a few threads on this subject last year during breeding season. A lot of people did post their negative experiences. Threads were closed, some people probably don't feel like rehashing it all over again, some people may have left the forum. I think one or two threads may have been deleted because it got so out of hand. When I posted my favorable experiences with Bobby, I was criticized. The words I posted that you just quoted were words thrown at me. I have never accused Bobby of ripping anyone off. Those are the words of others and I apologize if it sounded as if I said it. When I post now, and when I am talking about reviewing a breeder or how someone is being portrayed, this thread is so much tamer than what was being posted.

In time, people will get tired of this thread. Bobby's tegus will hatch out and he will send them out and that will be his current status.

I'm not sure, but I think there is still a Business Review forum. We should probably be placing a review there.

I wanted to reply to the rest of your post.... haven't had coffee yet lol

Y'know, I am a typically naive person who looks for the best in all people and is truly shocked when they do something mean. I don't know if that is a character asset or flaw yet. :) There could be rival breeders out there bashing Bobby and starting rumors or people he doesn't get along with. I can think of a couple that Bobby himself told me he doesn't care for and I don't think that is a big secret. the reptile hobby is a pretty cut throat place sometimes. That's why I always tell people to get first hand information, don't believe everything on the Internet, and get a second opinion. You have a valid point there.

People always post their new arrivals and I think this year will be no exception! I got a few eggs incubating myself that I'm rather excited about. The positive will flow, I think it will work out OK. It's just that some time has to pass.

william.l123

^very well said. what breed of reaptile do u you have yourself brewing in the mix? lol will you or anyone else here be attending the Repticon this year in July those are always great. last time i went to the daytona they had more Hoppers and insects then Reptiles lmao.

And yes let us all post our new buddys when they get here i myself am very syked about seeing and owning an Extreme, i would also like a baby blue and Majestic breed they look insane! but ill go big first and recieve the extreme firstly unless any of you have these hatching as well? ;) buy them all

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have redxb/w tegus, red beardies, cresties. I'm gonna call my tegus "Tangerines" because they breed out high orange. Just kidding...seriously...just kidding. I wanted Wil to read that.

Wil

5 Year Member
Tangerines??? Put me on the list, I want to be the first on my block to have one. Haha

Dana C

Dude, my grandmother and I are producing Tangerine Lemon Yellow crosses. We are going to a show and sell them for $10,000 but I going to take one hunting with me this weekend first.......

I am sooooo bad. Sound horribly familiar? LOL

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
I have redxb/w tegus, red beardies, cresties. I'm gonna call my tegus "Tangerines" because they breed out high orange. Just kidding...seriously...just kidding. I wanted Wil to read that.

I have some too, from when Bert bred them in 2005, 2006 and 2007, and mine came straight from Bert, Tell me how majestic they are, I kind of like the name "Tangerines" better,.

Here is one staright from Bert, I guess I should have bred them, knowing the value of them now......

[attachment=4338][attachment=4339][attachment=4340]

Attachments

• 2012 t (8).JPG
    2012 t (8).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 2012 t (14).JPG
    2012 t (14).JPG
    562.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 2012 t (10).JPG
    2012 t (10).JPG
    908.9 KB · Views: 7

Members online