• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

This is one of the reasons why.....

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is one of the reasons why reptiles may one day be banned. They escape or get let go for whatever reasons, and nobody knows what they are looking at. This is not a Nile Monitor, but a blue tail (Varanus Doreanus).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWdlPd86-I

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think they are escapees because people build outdoor enclosures here in FL. That looks like a well cared for animal. We get a lot of mistaken Niles, venomous Niles, my favorite: the poisonous Nile, killer tegus that are super agressive, and man eating pythons. I don't know if I want to slap my own forehead or someone else's.

james.w said:
This is one of the reasons why reptiles may one day be banned. They escape or get let go for whatever reasons, and nobody knows what they are looking at. This is not a Nile Monitor, but a blue tail (Varanus Doreanus).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqWdlPd86-I

roastedspleen

that is the most ridiculous thing iv ever seen and the guy who killed that poor escaped monitor should have thought before killing it.... it was like stabbing a rat in a cage when he killed that thing. they aren't stronger than an alligator that's bs

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well, I'd like to criticize the media's lack of research in properly identifying the animal... not to mention their exagerations of what the suspected animal is or can do in order to make the story more juicy...

But at the same time we have to first criticize the reptile owners who decide to step down from their responsibility and simply release the reptiles into local environments.

Many people will say that animals such as this should be much more difficult to obtain, or illegal all together. While I truly hope it never goes to the later result, I can't say I blame people for thinking this way...

All in all, as with most things in life, either extreme is the wrong answer. Though most things in America today exist on the extremes...

One side will argue in the name of "freedom" any American should be able to buy any such reptile without regulation or restriction... while the other side argues in the name of "responsibility" such reptiles should be banned to protect the local environment...

Maybe one day the two extremes will stop arguing long enough to hear the validity of the other's points... and will sit down together to formulate an approach that covers the major concerns of each extremes without ignoring the concerns of the other...

I make this point only in relation to this story... yet I feel it's also the answer to the vast majority of our countries issues...

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
I don't know if I want to slap my own forehead or someone elses

Amen to that. You'd think they'd do research before commnting on something

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Oops, some pretty lil news anchor didn't do her home work before airing her story, FAIL!

A new story should air with an apology from the news anchor and the dim wit who killed the monitor followed by a public service announcement urging citizens to call a hotline number if they see animals that scare them. Common citizens taking animal matters into their own hands should be fined.

...Jefroka

new2tegus

That's William Wallace, he can shoot lightning bolts out of his arse and kill men by the thousands haha. Really, good job media, thank you for finding the least informed person to comment for you. That's a nile monitor, I can tell because it has dark splotches on it with those light dots all over the place. Ironically in 2010 there were 32 dog related deaths, maybe the next dog off the leash you find you should shoot too. Don't worry guys, this one will try to move the rattlesnake out of the road instead of going around him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980