• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

this is a intresting comment about UV .

RobK.

from here

http://thetegu.com/showthread.php?571-New-Mega-Ray-Mercury-Vapor-UVB-bulb

Quote ''

However, there is a word of caution I always try to get out when people are talking about the area of UV and which products are better. Whereas it is shown that UV is not only beneficial but in fact necessary for a lot of reptiles, there is NOTHING in tested literature to indicate that "stronger is better". In the current topic, longer lasting is indeed better, but reptiles are not immune to irradiation damage. Compare a wild, freshly caught lizard with any indoor-kept captive one, and not only is the general colour usually brighter, but their pigments are often darker. There is a reason for that - UV protection. Melanin and other pigments in the skin act as something of a "shield" to help absorb dangerous UV irradiance before it reaches deeper tissues and causes dimerization of DNA or other photo-induced damage. With UV, more or greater is probably NOT better. People often have the misnomer that desert reptiles and others have a need for stronger UV sources because of the environment they're in, but the truth of the matter is most desert reptiles spend a lot of time avoiding the sun. On the flip side, even we need UV to produce vit D3 and avoid SAD, but we all know where too much exposure can lead us.

My strategy on the matter is to approach the situation that reptiles are like batteries - a slow, mild trickle of charge (or UV in this case) will keep them topped up, but a strong or sudden jolt can cause a lot of damage. Trouble is, most bulbs on the market hardly even provide the "slow, mild trickle".

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Wow i think this was kinda talked about before on here,about how much uvb our reptiles need,or how much is to much etc.Again i guess thats why im glad i got a solar meter to check my bulb and the uvb amount its putting out.Great article and information.Thanks for info.

RobK.

When you look at bulb tests , every test shows a big variance in out put of uvb in all the MVB tested . No two mega-rays or power-suns came close in the output from the'' INDEPENDENT'' tests that i have seem . I agree that a solar meter is a must have , when raising reptiles indoors .

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This somewhat goes back to what I was saying, nobody knows exactly how much UVB our reptiles need. I guess as long as they can escape the UVB if they need to their shouldn't be any problems.

adam1120

okay thanks teguboy thats good for my beardies:D i got a power sun this weekend at petco for my baby gu i did figure to look at the look thought a 60$bulbs was in there i look in there someone replaced it with basking bulb those 6 dollors i was like wtf when i came home i went bak today they refunded my money. then it got me think was my old reptisun replaced like that i never look at it i just put it in it was it was a reptglo 10;0 which i heard alot of bad things bouyt but it was time for a new one anyways i got a real repti sun this time luckily my beardied didnt suffer:D

teguboy77

5 Year Member
No your 100% rite you made a great point,but remember when animals kept outside sit in the sun there getting alot more uvb,so they dont have to bask all day,just when they need to thermoregulate and get there body temps back up from being in the shade,or in the morning etc.And again i'm not saying you have to get a solar meter but thats the advantage of having one to get accurate uvb readings and to make sure the uvb bulb is doing its job as it decays.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree a solar meter would be a good tool to see if the bulb is putting out UVB. The other thing about animals being out in the sun is, are they in the direct sunlight, or is the some cover from trees, shrubs, etc? It is all just a guessing game as to whether or not our animals are getting enough, too much, or the perfect amount of UVB.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
adam1120 said:
okay thanks teguboy thats good for my beardies:D i got a power sun this weekend at petco for my baby gu i did figure to look at the look thought a 60$bulbs was in there i look in there someone replaced it with basking bulb those 6 dollors i was like wtf when i came home i went bak today they refunded my money. then it got me think was my old reptisun replaced like that i never look at it i just put it in it was it was a reptglo 10;0 which i heard alot of bad things bouyt but it was time for a new one anyways i got a real repti sun this time luckily my beardied didnt suffer:D

Honestly ive used reptisun 10.0 for a while even while i was using a mercury vapor bulb.But now i use my megaray 160watt,with a 100 watt basking bulb,and a megaray 30 Watt - T12 – 36inch Full Spectrum Fluorescent.And my basking temps are 98f to 105f and my rhino loves it.

james.w said:
I agree a solar meter would be a good tool to see if the bulb is putting out UVB. The other thing about animals being out in the sun is, are they in the direct sunlight, or is the some cover from trees, shrubs, etc? It is all just a guessing game as to whether or not our animals are getting enough, too much, or the perfect amount of UVB.

Well i guess they know when to get out of the sun being there cold blooded animals and they thermoregulate,thats when there kept or raised outside or in the wild.But when people like myself and others keep them inside they should give them a area to retreat from there basking side,like a cooler side.Thats why i have one basking area ang a cool end of the cage which is just kept well lit so if my rhino wants out of the basking area he can go to the cooler end thats about 80f to 87f when he wants just my opinion.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No one knows exactly what UV levels are needed, but people have observed the basking behavior of reptiles and then measured the UV in the area at that time of day, for the same amount of time as the basking occured, and in relation to the equator. Most reptiles bask in the morning and evening and avoid the afternoon sun when it is strongest. Desert lizards have thicker skin, so they need a slightly stronger bulb than say a chameleon. A Chameleon also lacks the anatomical structures that shadow the eye from the sun and are more sensitive. Animals that lives in forested areas need less UVB as do animals that live farther away from the equator. It's kind of a guessing game, but an educated guessing game.

I also agree with giving animals a UV retreat and a retreat from bright lights, like would occur in nature.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yes i still provide good uvb basking spot and a spot for my rhino to retreat,ive talked to rob ehrig about his rhino's and basking and his are usually out in the morning and in some shade in the noon then out towards the end of the day.But there kept outside.I think giving reptiles inside the chance to get out of the basking area is a great idea,and it is a kinda guessing game but if you hhave a cool side of the cage it gives the lizard kept inside a choice of its own.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980