• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

the green devil

gotherps?

5 Year Member
*sigh* i have some green bean plants growing in my one year old iggs enclosure for him to eat on but yesterday i observed him devoring large mouthfuls of the soil they are planted in. im thinking there is one of 2 reasons.

1 some kind of nutrient deficiency. -he has a very varied and balanced diet along with supplements. im not a lettuce feeder.

2 he was thirsty and the soil was wet. -*sigh* despite my tries he still doesnt seem to recognize standing water. my beardie is the same. ive never seen him drink out of his bowl. so he gets most of his moisture out of his food and when i mist him he goes crazy and starts licking water off of his shelf. so he possible wants the moisture out of the soil.

anyone have any thoughts on this?

joshandjack

5 Year Member
well your probably right about the thirsty part. i recently put some coconut dirt stuff (bed a beast) in my cubans hide box, and i watched him go in there, check it out, eat a mouth full, and then i think he realized that it wasnt really food, but he kept licking it because it was moist despite the fact that i soak him on a regular basis. hopefully yours figures it out.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I hope he doesn't develope digestive problems...that would suck. I've never seen them take repeated mouthfulls...I've only seen reptiles try it once and get pissed and never try it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus