• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

that was.. fast?

Dereks-Dragons

well i had him out for like 2-3 hours today after he acclimated a bit and ate and went to the bathroom. well i notice he likes his himidity hide... he really doesnt look like he needs to shed but he just shed his head already? seems a bit fast lol he rele doesnt look like he is in shed.

Draco D Tegu

LOL welcome to Tegus, they'll do something to suprise you every moment. I wouldn't worry about the shed. He's a growing boy and has to grow out of his old skin to make way for that shiny new pretty skin!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^Agreed. Don't be surprised if he sheds weekly, when Guru was younger he shed every week the first couple months I had him.

Draco D Tegu

In fact, my two are shedding like mad right now, and one is a yearling, the other I believe is 4 years old. It's amazing how much skin they can have!

Draco D Tegu

Dereks-Dragons said:
just seemed wierd because he doesnt look like hes dull or anything exept the tail, yet the head shed lol. when does the green go away?

The green will go away in a few months (Gator held his for 6 months). My gu's never look dry or dull (like a snake would) prior to a shed. I'm not sure that they should look dull or dried out, except for the parts that are shedding (means you've got good humidity). Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you are perfectly fine....You've got the new "gu" parent syndrome! Congrats!

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've never really noticed mine looking dried out, sometimes the colors on their back will be dulled. Generally as soon as they dull they shed, either that day or the next. I think the green will last quite a while, I've got regular black and whites and Guru was green until he was about 6 months. I'm not sure how long Gary and Rango kept their green, I've only had them since April. I think you're perfectly fine, from the posts I've seen you seem to be off to a great start.

herpgirl2510

How is the humidity in the rest of thetank. If he spends alot of time in his humid hide maye it is low in the rest of the tank. Did you cover the screen top on your enclosure you will lose all the humiity through there.

Dereks-Dragons

The screen is covered. Humidity is fine. I think he's staying in there because its the only hide and the sphagmum moss is softer than the cypress in the rest of the cage lol

herpgirl2510

I don't use spagnum with my tegus ecause if they have a cut or arasion they can get a fungal infection from it. This was the advice that was given to me.

Dereks-Dragons

Yes. I have handled many.. and I'm still here correct ? Lol. The thing is, the frogs themselves are not poisonous. In the wild poison dart frogs eat a certain type of ant that contains venoms and thus passes it down to the frog, who excretes these poisons through their skin. No captive bred darts are poisonous as well as, any wild caught ones that are in captivity long lose their toxins because they are no longer exposed to these ants

Draco D Tegu

Dereks-Dragons said:
Yes. I have handled many.. and I'm still here correct ? Lol. The thing is, the frogs themselves are not poisonous. In the wild poison dart frogs eat a certain type of ant that contains venoms and thus passes it down to the frog, who excretes these poisons through their skin. No captive bred darts are poisonous as well as, any wild caught ones that are in captivity long lose their toxins because they are no longer exposed to these ants

Thanks, I know next to nothing about amphibians. I was thinking about setting up a nice decorative vivarium in my living room and was curious. I think though...I'mma go with firebellies!

Dereks-Dragons

I've had firebellies too. Dirty frogs lol and they never shut up. Most frogs I find to be a pain in the @$$ to feed. You should get a zoo med or exo Terra viv heavily planted and build a pond into it like I did for my dart frogs but get like day geckos. Done that too, more interesting than frogs Haha

new2tegus

Well Jekyll shed today lol, everything. He's a bit of a pig now, it's funny to see him sitting there with his plump belly now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980