• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Temperature and Humidity

HazyRep

5 Year Member
Well, the little guy's doing fine and just about to shed. I think I'm doing everything fine, but wanted to double check and get suggestions.

How do you keep your cages humid? I have a blanket over the top of the cage, next to the lights, is there something better I should be using? It's a screen top.
He's currently in a 40 gal, but I think it's too big for him right now. Would moving him into a smaller, 20 gal until he gets a bit bigger be a better idea? He's not all that big and I'm worried about him a little.
As for temperature, my room stays pretty warm and I have a heat light, the UV strip light and a small heatpad under the heated side.

Just wanted to get some feedback/ideas. Thanks!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I use plywood to insulate the top of my large enclosure. I cut holes through the plywood and the screening (which, by the way, I myself reinforced with a secondary reptile-safe metal screen) to hang the light fixtures through. I also mist 3-4 times a day.

olympus

5 Year Member
That pesticide pump that jose recommende works well.. Also a fog machine brings up the humidity when you fill up the container with warm water... Fill up the pump with water not pesticide... :-D :-D

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
olympus said:
That pesticide pump that jose recommende works well.. Also a fog machine brings up the humidity when you fill up the container with warm water... Fill up the pump with water not pesticide... :-D :-D

Yeah, and don't get a used model! Get a new one!

AB^

5 Year Member
I think a humid burrow is more important than the humidity level in the open space of the cage. I would build a solid topped enclosure when it gets bigger, but for now aluminum foil over the screen is a quick, easy and cheap fix.

HazyRep

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I'll get to work. Defianantly when he gets bigger, my dad's going to help me build up a cage, for now I'll take your guy's advice and get to work!

olympus

5 Year Member
I have a solid top enclosure with one vent and I even cover it with the background. My enclosure gets so humid that the front plexi glass sweats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont