• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu won't eat

Johnny300

Can anyone help me please? I've had him/her for about 3 days now and he refuses everything I give him. If anyone has any helpful tips please share. Thanks

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Give him time its only been 3 days, if his temps, lighting and humidity is good he'll eventually start eating once he's acclimated to his surrounding

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
3 days is not bad. It takes some time to get used to the new home and you. Also, if he was hibernating before you got him they take awhile to get back into the routine. Things like temps and humidity can affect appetite I believe. Niles seems to really like to warm up before he gets hungry. Make sure plenty of fresh water is available. This is more important than the food. Things you can try, which I learned from dubya on this forum, are egg yolks at first, then chicken dipped in egg yolk. Make sure to put calcium on it too. Laura, a moderator on here, has been feeding a new aquisition of hers dusted pinkies. You can try either. Also, i have noticed since niles has come out of hibernation he won't eat from his dish. I have to put the dish of yolk right under his nose and actually hand feed the dipped chicken to him with tongs. Keep trying different things. And do not worry because even before niles went down for hibernation he was averaging a good meal every third day. He just didn't feel hungry every day. And that is fine. Each animal is different. Hope this helped and good luck :)

Johnny300

He might still be in brumation.. Hes been out once today cause I got him out to try and feed him and he ate one little ball of ground turkey

Another question I have is if my tegu IS hibernating, how long a day should I keep his basking light on?

Johnny300

I can post a picture an I've had him for about 3 days now

This is the only one I have cause he's still sleepin

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 149
If it is spring where you are and you purchased him from somewhere where it is spring, then I'd imagine you'd be safe leaving the basking lights on for a full cycle (10-14 hours), but perhaps someone else will chime in.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is a T teguixin (Colombian) and they do not hibernate. However, they are easily stressed by change. So if you just bought him, plus he was shipped because he's imported, etc, he has likely had a tough time.

He looks pretty good. I would keep his temps consistently warm = cool side of >78, warm side 85-90, and a surface basking spot of 115ish. You can put two hides, one on the cool side and one on the warm side. They like it plenty humid, so that will help, too. If he is really nervous, cover three sides of his cage with some sort of paper so he isn't overwhelmed. I like to use black construction paper. You can gutload with greens and dust crickets with a good amount of calcium and see if he will eat them. He may be coming out when you are not around. And then just sort of avoid him for about a week and let him settle in. Some tegus you can handle right away, but if you have a nervous baby like that, let him adjust.

I don't think he's hibernating, but if the temps are too cold, he will be unnaturally inactive. And he doesn't look obviously sick. Keep us updated. :)

Johnny300

BatGirl1 said:
Wait...that looks columbian, right? I thought columbians don't normally hibernate(?)

I wish I knew what kind of tegu he was.. Still kinda new to em. Did a lot of research though

laurarfl said:
That is a T teguixin (Colombian) and they do not hibernate. However, they are easily stressed by change. So if you just bought him, plus he was shipped because he's imported, etc, he has likely had a tough time.

He looks pretty good. I would keep his temps consistently warm = cool side of >78, warm side 85-90, and a surface basking spot of 115ish. You can put two hides, one on the cool side and one on the warm side. They like it plenty humid, so that will help, too. If he is really nervous, cover three sides of his cage with some sort of paper so he isn't overwhelmed. I like to use black construction paper. You can gutload with greens and dust crickets with a good amount of calcium and see if he will eat them. He may be coming out when you are not around. And then just sort of avoid him for about a week and let him settle in. Some tegus you can handle right away, but if you have a nervous baby like that, let him adjust.

I don't think he's hibernating, but if the temps are too cold, he will be unnaturally inactive. And he doesn't look obviously sick. Keep us updated. :)

Is it good to feed him collard greens? I haven't tried yet.. Would reall like him to eat somethin. I bought crickets las night an didn't seem interested

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Feed the greens to the crickets then dust them with calcium powder she means. And yes. It is a columbian. So just keep temps up and yes they are more skittish and like to hide, so you need to be very patient. :) i have an argentine and even he has been taking time to get used to his new big house. And laura is a smart girl, so everything she said... ;)

Johnny300

Would it be alright to put him in a 30 gal? I'm not sure of any other dimensions but it IS NOT gonna be permanent. Just somethin bigger for now

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I kept niles in a 40gal breeder because they are wider. He was 16in at purchase and 18in when began hibernation. I had a 6ftx3ftx3ft enclosure built in the meantime. He hibernated from oct to just recently... i woke him and resumed heat/uvb. Then after he stopped being so groggy put him into his big enclosure. Yours is columbian so they are 'generally ' smaller and although this is the case I would still suggest a 40breeder because most tanks, even at larger volume, are still not wide, and this gives the animal less walking space. You 'could ' even go with a nice big plastic tub of some kind as long as you modify a secure lid for heat and uvb light placement. But again very temporary. As I said, niles is 18in and I have transferred him to a 6ft enclosure. And those dimensions are the minimum that experienced keepers advise for a tegu to live comfortably. Hope this helps. :)

Johnny300

Do you have any suggestions on makin a lid for a rubber bin? An what size? They aren't climbers correct? If they are please correct me!

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes they can climb and jump and pick locks ;p but seriously they are smart and agile and need a secure locking lid. Some larger bins have locking sides and you could cut the center and replace middle with strong screen so you can put lights on top.

Johnny300

BatGirl1 said:
Yes they can climb and jump and pick locks ;p but seriously they are smart and agile and need a secure locking lid. Some larger bins have locking sides and you could cut the center and replace middle with strong screen so you can put lights on top.

If I got a reptisun bulb would that be the only lighting I need?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.