• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mamasaurus

The orange belly is a firebelly and sounds like one rescued from Florida. The colony there has that trait. That's where I got my boy. A couple suggestions for you that may help until you get his forever home. Decrease the bulb wattage, get a hide (it just isn't an option) mine still burrows with it, make sure your substrate is good and wet at all times also, get a temp gun to get more accurate temp ranges because heat stress makes them cranky and the hide offers added temp decrease and safety. They need a place to hide not just burrow to feel safe especially in an all glass tank. They are prey animals. They are nebby as heck but all that "openness" could put them on high alert. If you keep the temps good, humidity up, add a hide, and if it continues maybe even feed elsewhere like a big rubbermaid tote or the tub it could help with the food aggression. My guy is not cuddly but he isn't aggressive either. He has been before after moving him around but he was scared and I can't blame him or yours for that. It takes patience and some trial and error. The peeps here are great! Good luck!!!

bocacash

5 Year Member
You have some immediate, larger problems to solve (enclosure size, feeding routine, gaining back trust, etc.) and have received some good advice here. Once you've got her back to reasonable, I have a suggestion that has always worked for me...with lizards, dogs, cats, horses, etc...when you go to feed her make a sound every time ! I use a tongue clicking sound and I use it every time...gu's are very intelligent and observant (mouse in the cup) and she will quickly associate that sound with you...it calms my Jezebel down. I am now working on a different sound...saying her name repeatedly...for when I just want to interact with her, no food. She is catching on ! Good luck and keep this in mind for later on !

TeguTeep

When you feed your Gu do you know if your feeding enough? Sounds like my newest tegu’s size and when he doesn’t eat enough I notice he’s much more active and crazy trying to run around scavenging for food. When he’s full he’s not trying to escape the cage relentlessly, running around lifting things up and etc... if you are feeding two small fuzzies at that size I’d wager it’s not enough food. Try one single medium fuzzy mouse to feed on. If you do give em the two small fuzzies still, I’d offer some filler food like some small fruits and veggies to physically make em feel full. If he still goes after food after eating the two small fuzzies then she is hungry. When she is not interested in the food really anymore then she is full
We feed her two small rats every other day with a handful of blueberries in between. She can barely scarf them down so I know she’s eating plenty. Right after she eats, she’ll sit and bask and will let us put our hand in her enclosure and even let us touch her for a second before she starts jumping again, but overall acts super full afterwards!

Merlot

Try to rotate the diet up a little or add to it. Try to give your Gu a plate of food that had to be “eaten piece by piece” to gauge how much your Gu can eat. I was noticing that even with mice and my gu, when I thought he was full because the delicious mice, he did in fact have plenty more room in the belly to eat and when I figured it all out the aggression really stopped. And make sure that you have a good cool and hot side differentiated. If they can’t cool off they’ll forever stay hyper

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam