• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu question

Alane252

okay i have been trying to tame down sam over the two months by taking him to the bathroom for one on one time and it has been working very well he has been warming up very well to me over the last couple weeks ... but he has started to climb on me and try to get on top of my head!!?? ..and he does every chance he/she gets ... is this a bad thing? has anyone elses gu done this

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
All my gu's try to, and I've seen many other members whos gu's do the same thing. Seems normal but it becomes painful and uncomfortable when they're around 3+ feet.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ditto ^ ^ ^ it's fine now when they're small and like to be up high when they're young. But may be hard to break as they get older. The last thing you want is a 10 + lb, 3 or 4ft lizard with long nails trying to climb on top of your head. Some grow out of it, some don't,.. Dino didn't every so often he would still try it when I held him.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Kodo likes to thread himself in my ponytail given the opportunity. He's used my hair to take his leash off a few times, too.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's cute when they're small, not so much when they get big as some have noted. I suggest blocking his path until he's content with remaining on the shoulder rest. When they're larger that's the most comfortable way to hold them long-term, draped over a shoulder. Probably the most annoying and uncomfortable is having them constantly trying to claw up your face! :)

Dana C

Alane252 said:
okay i have been trying to tame down sam over the two months by taking him to the bathroom for one on one time and it has been working very well he has been warming up very well to me over the last couple weeks ... but he has started to climb on me and try to get on top of my head!!?? ..and he does every chance he/she gets ... is this a bad thing? has anyone elses gu done this

Eva does it every day. Your head is warm and Sam can see what is going on. It is a good thing! He knows your smell and you and perching on your head exhibits trust.
Now when Eva does it, I have to give her a boost because I don't have much hair and her nails HURT
Alane252 said:

Eva does it every day. Your head is warm and Sam can see what is going on. It is a good thing! He knows your smell and you and perching on your head exhibits trust.
Now when Eva does it, I have to give her a boost because I don't have much hair and her nails HURT unless I do. She loves so I just go with it.
Enjoy!

AP27

Odin does it all the time, though he only does it to people with long hair lol. Whenever he climbs on someone's head I jokingly tell them they've been infected with the 'head lizards' lol. Its a rucurring 'illness' :p

Alane252

Dana C said:
Alane252 said:

Now when Eva does it, I have to give her a boost because I don't have much hair and her nails HURT
Alane252 said:

Now when Eva does it, I have to give her a boost because I don't have much hair and her nails HURT unless I do. She loves so I just go with it.
Enjoy!
thats a good thing to hear i have been spending alot of time trying to earn his trust.. even tho he still isnt big on being picked up ... but it will come with time

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
AP27 said:
Odin does it all the time, though he only does it to people with long hair lol. Whenever he climbs on someone's head I jokingly tell them they've been infected with the 'head lizards' lol. Its a rucurring 'illness' :p

Id head lizards anything like head pigeons?

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Funny, mine doesnt mind being picked up, but she never tried to crawl up my head. Also, I lol at the head pigeons refrence. Go Zim.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu