• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu poops out of enclosure

spencer

Hi, I would like my female black and white Tegu to free roam my room but whenever I let her walk around she will poop on my carpet or bed. She is 2 years old. Anybody have any ideas how to get her to stop or ways of somehow training them to go in a certain place. I can't take her outside it is to cold.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Moondust said:
Put her in a warm bath before you let her free roam. Then she'll poop in the bath and not on your carpet lol.

This is about the only way, you can try setting out newspaper and keeping her there until she poops, but they definitely aren't like dogs or cats.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
^^^Yup...

My Tegu hasn't pooped in it's enclosure since it was a year old...

Most days I take him out, soak him in the bathtub. As soon as he poops (on the days that he poops) he wants out of the tub. Then he free roams the rest fo the evening. If I think he should poop, but doesn't in the tub, I put him back in his enclosure.

I personally do not believe it is possible to "potty train" a Tegu. I do think it is possible to learn where your Tegu prerfers to poop and to work with his preference.

spencer

K I will do the bath thing. Thank you. It is the worst thing to clean when she poops on my carpet they have the worst smelling poop I have ever smelled.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Soaking in a tub prior to free roaming is the ONLY way for me...It really helps a lot! If they don't go after soaking for 10-20 minutes, I usually assume they're not gonna go and then let them free roam. This has only worked against me one time--one incredibly messy, smelly time.

Speaking of pooping in the tub...

What do you guys do about the "remains"? I've thought about getting a fish net (for aquariums) to scoop it out.

Ideas?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I drain the water and when it's almost empty I turn the shower head own to ensure it all washes down the drain... At least once or twice a week I then come back and wash it with a cleaner. Naturally any time my girl wants to soak in the back I have to go in first and clean it.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
That's how my monitor is too. Tub is the only way... We've set it into our routine though. He eats, around noon before work every day I plop him in the tub and once he relieves himself under the running water I drain the tub and then let him have his soak.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont