• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu not lifting herself up

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Vet check required last week. Plain and simple, this problem didn't happen over night, it's been ongoing. Go to the vet and put her out of her misery. Or re-home her. Did you only just realize these problems last week? It's clear that you didn't do your research before purchasing this animal that is now suffering. If you're gonna keep her, do what has been stated by the other members, get her everything that she needs and more and learn from your mistakes.

Even with all that she might not make it.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I recommend the same lighting ( from the link above ). I also would lower the humidity a bit. If the humidity is to high your Tegu could get a respiratory tract infection. Put her mouth by your ear and listen for a poping or wheezing sound. Do you measure the basking temps from the side of the enclosure or right on the basking spot ? Please keep us posted. Good luck with everything. Oh, one more thing. Is she drinking alot of water and is she eating when you give her the food ?

http://www.anapsid.org/rti.html

frost

1,000+ Post Club
whole prey items and sunlight will give a really good boost of the uva/uvb lighting there isnt a bulb around that compares with the suns' rays.

Wendell-X

I'm glad some people are being honest with me I guess i should have put up all the info first.
I don't know how old he is and how long the owner we bought him from had him. The owner seemed to know his habits so i though she had to have had him a while but when i notice the bulb wasn't UVB and he was fat and walking up on his feet i knew she didn't because i figured some signs would be showing by now.

TeguBuzz- I don't think i put on here how long I've had him but it's been 2 days going on 3 now and we bought him off Craigslist and the last owner didn't look they had a PHD in anything so i was amazed he had all his toes and wasn't a skeleton. I understand from other articles that people are real sensitive when it comes to Tegus health and proper care and i didn't mean to sound like I brought some dog home. I do take his health seriously.

I've been on this website for months now planning and researching on these animals and i hope i didn't come off as buying him for entertainment. I understand all their nutritional and UVB and i cant make money come out of the air so unfortunately i cannot get a bulb immediately but within a few days i will have one. When we seen how bad his last home was i couldn't leave him. i understand that if i can't provide good care to him I'm no better then them it was kind of an impulse buy.

I am going to put more pics of him up and would love anyone who said he looks sick to see if it was the pic. I'm NOT disagreeing with anyone its just that he was pissed the night we brought him home for obvious reasons and he was in a defensive pose. i wanted to get him online here as soon as possible so i could see if he's healthy. I live in MD and I'm looking for vets now and I dont want to re-home but if it means his Health then I will immediately put the ads up now. He is a sweetheart and we've had a humidifier on and have been bathing him regularly.

Umm..... I have Rep-Cal Phosphorus-free calcium with VIT.D3 that i have been mixing into his food (ground turkey for now but im getting a SMALL FROZEN rat for tonight ). I'm sorry i haven't updated about him, my niece got he finger stuck in a door and the doctor was talking about amputation but thank god everything healed well. It's been a living hell the last 3 days but the best parts were when i would go spend time with the Tegu. I have all day to spend with him and have been working on an area for him outside. i have rocks stacked nice an flat for a basking spot and when i took him outside he was in absolute heaven.

please ask any questions and fee free to email me at [email protected] for any questions or concerns you have. I dont know if I've left anything out i didn't want to write a novel on here but i wanted to make sure i got to everyone's comments.

Here are the pics, like i said if you have concerns please let me know i understand his health could be bad but please let me know if there's anything i can do to keep him or if it would be best to find someone on this website who could take care of him. I know getting him better will not take overnight but i need to know if he's in life threatening condition.

Tegu004.jpg

Tegu003-1.jpg

Tegu002.jpg

Tegu001.jpg

Hes still shedding

HOLY CRAP........ im sorry i put all of this on the wrong post. Please ignore all of this.

I don't know how i ended up on this post but i thought everyone was saying i was killing my Tegu. I was freaking out thinking i was hurting him and not taking proper care of him........ Sorry

tommyboy

Lol....I thought I was losing my mind. Wendell, your guy looks much better than the one everybody was commenting about. I was looking at the pictures knowing this was not the same tegu. You must have beeen very relieved when you realized we were not talking about you!!

Wendell-X

Absolutely......... my guy seems to be doing well(knock on wood) and hes already warmed-up to everyone. there really is nothing like petting a 3 foot lizard to sleep in your arms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029