• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu not eating. Hibernation soon??

G

I'm pretty new to Tegu keeping. I've had her for about 2 months. The past 4 days she hasn't really been interested in food. The thing is she has been coming out to bask in the heat lamps and I don't disturb her when shes sleeping. The first day of her not eating I didnt see her come out at all. The next day she was only out for about 5 minutes once I was home from work and before I could feed her she went back to bed. Yesterday she was up and I put some ground beef and bananas in for her to which she turned her nose up and went to bed shortly after. Today I offered some superworms but after a few flicks of the tongue she decided she'd rather just sit under the lamp for a few hours and then go back to bed. Should I keep offering food as long as she is coming out? Im not trying to encourage hibernation but I am not really trying to discourage it either since I don't disturb her when she sleeps and I don't turn the lights off.

G

Also she pooped today so I don't think shes having any tummy issues although it was a bit runny.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It 'tis that time of year...

dealing with a hibernating pet for the first time is quite troublesome for most of us. But your Tegu knows what's best for him and what he needs.

You may want to offer a small portion of food every second or third day. If he/she eats what is offered, offer a bit more. But there is no need to offer full meals on a daily basis. This is just wasting food.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus