• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Nails

d-tr1k

Hello, Our tegu has really sharp nails, can anyone share there routine for nail care?

Thanks in advance

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Normal. If a problem or too long, clip them or have the vet do it.

Jessicak

At petco I bought a set of reptile clippers. I just clipped his nails tonight and he didn't feel a thing. I literally clipped ONLY the tip. As little of a clip as possible because I was worried about hurting him, but with the points gone, he doesn't scratch as much

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good. Stick to the thin part, away from the wider veined area.

Trede

I found a local pet store with actual knowledgeable staff! It's hard to see sometimes, but with bright backlighting you can see a tegu's "quick" (not sure if it's the same term for reptiles, but you get the idea) just like you can with a dog's...that said, I leave it to the pros since they only charge $8 to trim and file the nails...and then spend an hour raving about how awesome it is to hold a tegu.

Trede

So, in case anyone was wondering, small dog nail caps fit pretty well on a tegu...

IMG_20160107_222733.jpg
IMG_20160107_222754.jpg

viejo

5 Year Member
Hey, that's a great idea! My little buddies are Olympic class squirmers but don't do much scratching so far. They seem to squirm mostly because they want to climb on me & explore.

Trede

She squirms quite a bit, but just seems oblivious to how long and sharp her claws are. It's more like she just wants to sit on top of my shoulders or climb the side of my head because it's fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980