• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu introduction

reddawg

5 Year Member
I have a 3yr. old Tegu. It looks to be a male, by the jowls starting to form. He is only about 24in. total length, maybe more, from what I can remember. He hibernates for 7 months out of the year. In fact he is still asleep now. I would like to get a second Tegu, and am having trouble finding info on introducing another one. Should I go with a similar size or would it be better to add a bigger one. How about changing the cage around and reintroducing both of them at the same time. How about gender? If Tegus are social animals will two males get along? I hadn't thought much about breeding, but if I get a female I can cross that bridge when I get to it.

hoosier

5 Year Member
that sounds pretty small for a 3yr old tegu but if you are going to introduce another animal i would defiently go with an animal of the same size. and make sure you give them plenty of space and hides so they have their own space. but accidents happen and fights may start out so you have to weigh the pros and cons of your decision.

reddawg

5 Year Member
Well he's probably bigger. Like I said I only see him for about six months out of the year. When I first got him he still had some green on his head. I got him at a show in nov. or dec. Two years ago, which they woke him up for. He was only up for two weeks when he went back into hibernation for another 4 months. I guess he is not quit 3yrs. yet more like 2. With all of his hibernating he has only been a wake for something like 12 months.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan