• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu diet

dpjm

5 Year Member
I don't think there's any definitive answer to your question. The gut content of wild tegus, T. merianae, I think, was found to contain about 70% plant matter, so it seems reasonable to assume that this type of food is important in their diet. I do probably about 40% fruit, and the remainder is protein-based food.

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
okay that's cool/ I just read that they eat plant and fruit matter but I wasn't sure if it was barely anny or a good chunk and 40% is a good chunk. So basically they definatly eat less meat than say a savannah monior

Oddball

5 Year Member
fruit matter they eat very little of, its red tegus that eat more fruit. black n whites eat i would say roughly 40% veggie w/a bit o fruit and 60% prey animal/ground turkey, not exact on those estimates though

but savannah monitors are 100% carnivorous so a tegu is definitely less carnivorous than a sav

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029