• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Bites

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
So my boss was watching TV with her husband the other day and they stumbled on the special about invasives in Florida that talks about how vicious tegus are. I've never seen it. She got a riled up about it and is now afraid some kid is going to get hurt. I have assured her that tegus are not as aggressive as monitors and Kodo has yet to display a single aggressive trait (he hasn't even hissed at me or tailwhipped me). What kind of damage is an adult tegu capable of inflicting on a human? Can they really sever fingers and break bones? Please be honest with me. Like I said earlier, Kodo is a little sweetheart and I have no intention whatsoever of turning him mean or allowing him to bite anyone. I just want to know what to expect in a worst-case scenario (may it never come).

Max713

Yes, a fully grown Tegu has the ability to remove fingers, and break bones.
No matter how tame, always treat your Tegu with respect!

I saw the same episode you are talking about... pissed me off as well, actually, I also posted a thread about it. You just have to learn to brush off what TV shows often say, as they are rarely right.
For the most part, captive breed tegus turn out to be some of the tamest, most affectionate large lizard there is. But there is always that chance that they will never become tame.

lilgonz

I agree with Max, a fully grown tegu does have the capability of doing some real damage, severed fingers or broken ones at least, but you must remember even in captivity they are still wild animals. You must always treat them with that respect, and learn their body language, they will almost always show some warning signs before getting aggressive.

Kebechet

A tegu is no worse than a small dog. Yes it has the capacity to bite off a finger or two, and scratch you up. Wild animals will attack if cornered, regardless of whether they have fur or scales. If an animal is afraid it will defend itself, but the chances of wild tegu being outwardly aggressive unless you try to go after it, are slim. If you live in a place that can sustain a wild tegu population, invasive or not, you have other things to worry about, like water moccasins, adders, coral snakes, Iggys, and gators. If your kid corners a wild animal in the yard and gets bit, you obviously weren't doing your job as a parent to watch them. That's pretty much my thought on it.

Dirtydmc

Actually, bobby was telling me about that show. Those tegus got cornered and were afraid. Even wild tegus would rather run than attack. He got all sorts of hot when I brought that show up. Cant say I blame him. a tegu will only bite you as a last resort.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes they can do damage,.. even babies can break the skin and seeing blood is enough for some people to freak out. Which is why I never tell people my pets don't bite. I say they have a brain and a mouth of their own with very sharp teeth,.. so they can bite. Depending on the pet at that time, then they haven't or not lately,.. which I also tell them.

If they have then the next question is usually why and or what happened. If it were me,.. I would be more upset if you told me your pet doesn't bite then it does. As opposed to a warning a head of time,.. even though it has never happened just a heads up that it can.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They can absolutely bite off a finger as an adult. It's not very likely if cared for properly. The tegus on swamp wars are wild, most of them have never been around people. Most of them are probably pretty hungry. As dirty said, they were cornered. I've seen other episodes with tegus and most of them retreat and try to hide. When they're chased and cornered they seem to flip out. LOL I'm waiting for my landlord to mention the show, hes got a little kid that loves AP.

Kebechet

rhetoricx said:
LOL I'm waiting for my landlord to mention the show, hes got a little kid that loves AP.

If they ask, and your tegu is calm enough you should do a demonstration like I do with Link. I pick him up and kiss him on his big scaly lips (and sometimes get frenched by him without intending to) XD and then I ask them "If I thought there was even the slightest chance of biting, do you think I would have done that?" :) It chills out people pretty quick when it comes to worrying about aggression.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh yeah, they've seen my tegus when they were out and about. His kid loves them haha. I'm just not sure if the landlord has seen pictures of a tegu bite or anything like that. He did some research on his own so he knows the basics and he seems alright.

new2tegus

Basically just here to agree with what everyone said.
1.) They were wild tegus.
2.)They were cornered and technically attacked first.
3.)They were kept in a catch cage and had no other way out.
4.)They are still wild.

The trainer for bart the bear asked the question of which bear would kill you first a wild or tame. The answer was tame but that's due to complacency.

Joshjack90

i was holding my tegu when that show came on. It bothered me how bad of a rep it gave tegu's, and this is the reason they are feared of. Its like any wild animal, they are more aggressive than a captive bred/raised animal. Yes tegus have potential to inflict damage to a human, but if you treat them with respect they wont. They can be as tame and docile as your houshold cat or dag and make amazing pets!

Neeko

I tell people anything with a mouth can vote, baby children bite... As for the show... Didn't see it but something tragic, sad etc sell more then of Tegus puppy dog tame love people and eat turkey which is cost effective.

Vote =. Bite

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Technically they weren't wild. At some point they were more than likely pets considering tegus aren't native to Florida

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
One of the tegus was really young, like guru sized lol. its possible they've mated out in the wild. The temps seem to be spot on.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Thank you guys. I told my boss that any wild any animal being manhandled is gonna freak out and a captive tegu used to being handled wouldn't react that way. When the guests ask if the animals bite, I tell them any animal with movable jaws can hypothetically bite you. It's not a matter of if the animal can bite, but a matter of will the animal bite. Kodo gets handled all the time and I treat him with all the love I would give a child, so hopefully he won't ever feel the need to bite anyone. In 20 years of owning reptiles, I've only been bitten a couple of times and those were feeding responses.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with the posts there's a big difference between a captive tegu and a wild tegu, I had adult tegus and seeing them crush rat skulls was enough to let me know I didn't want to get bit, I have been bitten by smaller tegus though just a small cut and a lil blood no biggie but it does hurt especially the ones that won't let go

Max713

Just for fun, here's a wild Gu that got tired of being messed with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pq4RyBqUxY

This one is terrible I know, seems to be a pet Tegu :( Possibly a wild one in florida..
But it's still funny how hard this guy goes after the dog!
*To clarify, I think this is terrible, but I see humor in it*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lqxqVb7b8Q

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
rhetoricx said:
One of the tegus was really young, like guru sized lol. its possible they've mated out in the wild. The temps seem to be spot on.

This is true, I guess there is a possibility they have had no human contact.

new2tegus

They said that they have a small breeding population down there, that's the only reason I said that . I hate that show about them, only because wild or not, any animal would react similarly being cornered, caged and then manhandled.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Max713 said:
Just for fun, here's a wild Gu that got tired of being messed with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pq4RyBqUxY

This one is terrible I know, seems to be a pet Tegu :( Possibly a wild one in florida..
But it's still funny how hard this guy goes after the dog!
*To clarify, I think this is terrible, but I see humor in it*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lqxqVb7b8Q

The first video was funny; that guy squealed like a stuck pig when that lizard rushed him. I've seen the second video before and I gotta say that it one badass tegu taking on that dog.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.