• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tegu behavoir

bubbasherps

5 Year Member
Ive had tegus and alot of other lizard species I have notice behavoir in tegus my adult male which I chat to every day will come over to me and open his mouth up wide is it recognizing me ? ive been trying to figure it out does any body else had experiences like this ?

AB^

5 Year Member
Mine yawn, that's the only time I see them open their mouths when not engulfing something :)

AB^

5 Year Member
That's why you have to make things mentally stimulating for them. Especially for more intelligent species such as varanids and tegus.
Rearranging the cage will help as will putting some oddball random object in the cage for them to investigate. Providing a variety of foods is a good idea too.

playlboi

5 Year Member
well, my tegu that was constantly yawning was in the process of getting ready to hibernate. haven't seen the guy for couple of weeks now. my othe tegu is more than active. guys a little explorer in his own right.

greentriple

5 Year Member
Mentally stimulating huh? I'm going to start giving El Che the New York Times Crossword, that should keep him stimulated. Hell, it he can get Friday's it will be a clear sign of his intelligence and advance brain development, I might be able to argue he has a frontal lobe and feelings.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
greentriple said:
Mentally stimulating huh? I'm going to start giving El Che the New York Times Crossword, that should keep him stimulated. Hell, it he can get Friday's it will be a clear sign of his intelligence and advance brain development, I might be able to argue he has a frontal lobe and feelings.

Yea, there are even some humans that can not learn, well not as much as tegus. Seems like they must learn the hard way.

AB^

5 Year Member
greentriple said:

are you saying your tegu doesnt love you?? :wink:

bubbasherps

5 Year Member
:D i started to open my mouth up at him , he replys showing me his mouth. maybe he needs mouth wash ...or dentist just another interesting thing about the amazing tegu :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980