• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tail problem in tegu

yulyani

Dear Friends,

I want to discuss about the condition of my tegu gogon. He is now about 8 years, and he has the repeated problem at his tail. About 1 year ago, the tail got dried and loss about 16 cm. It is healed well, although not growing back again, only perform the stump.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed his tail at the 5 cm length from the tip is beginning to get smaller again. First it was smelly and I thought it should be a tail infection/gangrene. But now it is almost completely dried and brittle, and I think it is going to loss again naturally with the border of 5 cm. I am preparing the worse possibility if gogon should get this tail amputated in case it is not loss naturally within weeks...........

I wonder if the old tegu has this kind of issue, because in my feeling he has the cycle of the age with the tail loss....I am sorry if this is not logic but I just think from my minds,...the tail is always ok without problem until he was about 7 years,...and beginning to have this problem at recent years....

I appreciate any input from you

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Does he have any shedding problems, specifically on his tail.

yulyani

james.w said:
Does he have any shedding problems, specifically on his tail.

yes before when he lost 16 cm tail that part is usually not coming shed together with the other area. But this tail part which having problem just shed normally in about 2 month ago until the tip.

James do you know about the avarange life span of tegu,...and is it possible to keep the tail still long until they are old...thanks

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Life span is supposedly 15-20 years. I have never had one that long, so can't say for sure. I don't see why a tegu wouldn't keep their full tail throughout their life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.