• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tail breaks? What to do?

goodtimes

5 Year Member
I got home at 1:30 this morning to find out that Samus had somehow broken his tail about 3 inches from the tip. I was not informed until this morning when I woke up. Upon inspection I found the break to be ugly. There were what appeared to be fibrous nerve endings sticking out of a scab. I cleaned it with alcohol, dabbed it with neosporin, gently straightened it out, put a bandaid on it and wrapped it with cloth medical tape. Any chance this could end well???? Any advice would be great. I am seriously bummed out.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lizards (tegus included) can drop their tails. If somthing grabs it and the tegus feels threaten then they can break their tails to get away. I wouldn't bandage it in case he desides to eat it. The tail will re-generate over time but it will be all black.

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Thanks Chelvis.
I took the bandage off this morning and it looks better. I am pretty sure it will fall off, but he still has feeling in it. It will dry out today and I will let it run its course.[attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• IMG_2059.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 101
  • IMG_2060.JPG
    515 bytes · Views: 64

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hum... its still pretty well on there actully i figured it was all the way off. If it doesn't fall off you could end up with a fork tailed tegu, seen it on a few of the skinks that run around here. If it looks like its getting infected at all take him to a vet so they can remove the last part of it, other wise it should heal up fine.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bummer man!! It happens to many Tegu's Our female was missing at least 6" when we got her. 2 weeks ago the male pulled her tail off (while breeding) leaving her with a 6" stump!!! We were rather upset and rushed her to the vet 1 hour away. They confirmed what we thought, they drop the tail, it was a clean break, they stopped the bleeding and said it would heal naturally, and soaked us $250 for an emergency appointment since they we closing when we called. Very scary! What was even scarier was the separated tail flopping around on the ground. I held it and couldn't stop it from wiggling! She's huge with follicles but I don't know if she'll lay due to the stress.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh no Dave sounds like your in for another late season waiting on that female again.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
goodtimes. I'm very sorry to hear about what happend with Samus. Here is some info for you to check out if you want to. Good luck. Please keep us posted.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.anapsid.org/tailkinks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.anapsid.org/tailkinks.html</a><!-- m -->

Dave. I'm very sorry to hear about what happend to your Tegu, too. Poor baby. I hope all will turn out well. Please keep us posted.

Cali 202

5 Year Member
Sorry to hear about Samus! Although unfortunate, if the tail heals bent unstead of breaking off, it could look kinda cool IMO, just looking at the brightside. I like when animals have little quirks.

DaveDragon said:
What was even scarier was the separated tail flopping around on the ground. I held it and couldn't stop it from wiggling!

Thats hilarious... I dont think I could handle it though, it would creep me out so bad hah.

DaveDragon said:
She's huge with follicles but I don't know if she'll lay due to the stress.

Thats a bummer, hopefully she will be a trooper and come through for you this summer. Hope her tail heals well too, sounds like she lost quite a bit of it :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980