• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

t-shirt trick?

kellen.watkins

Does anyone know if this actually works or helps, like has anyone had 2 tegus and done the trick with one and not with the other and determine the difference? Any input would be nice I'm gonna start doing it with eli (also eli is starting his 2nd shed and really starting to whiten up :)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think it hurts. I did it with Guru but the other guys came to be as sub adults so I never got the chance to try it on them. I would catch Guru sleeping inside of the shirt lol, he used to have a baby sized blanket too.

Logie_Bear

I used this technique on my mean as can be Tokay gecko. Well, I actually used a bandanna in her hide, since a t-shirt would have been too big. Same concept tho and it worked like a charm! Now whenever I reach in the cage she licks/smells my hand and as long as it's me she lets me take her out without too much fuss. She's still a b**** but at least my hands aren't all bloodied up. :p

MissMooRaw

I definitely think it's worth a shot. When I got my tegu home I immediately did the shirt trick with the sweater and an under shirt, where you let them crawl in through the sleeve and you just stay very still and let them get comfortable.

I think it helps them feel safe, either with the sweater or the in tank t-shirt methods. They associate your scent with comfort and safety which helps with the bonding process immensely.

Never hurts to give it a try! :b

ReptiBonezXO

I brought a clean blanket from my house when i went to go pick up ZuulDog.
I washed it, and then slept with it the night before i went to get her.
That way, it was free of any smells but my own. I wrapped her in it and she rode home in it.
She is laid back to begin with, but she settled in right away, and even ventured out of her cage the day after i got her, and seeks out
our laundry to sleep on.
I personally feel like it makes a difference.

Also, when i transport my snakes, i use pillowcases i have slept on once or twice. The similar smell seems to prove for calmer rides, than things fresh out of the laundry, or in empty bins alone.

kellen.watkins

I would let him crawl through through my sleeves and what not but I've had him for almost a month have not been able to handle him once, i have not even been able to get my hand in the enclosure with him out, I can get close to his tank and that's as far as I can get, so imma start the t-shirt trick just kinda don't wanna feel its out of despiration. Thanks for all the input guys/girls :)

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think it seems out of desperation. Tegus are super curious so you might also be providing hours of mental stimulation if he "plays" with it.

Vince

We’re on our first gu that we’ve had for only 9 days, but I wanted to add my observations here.

I started putting the shirt I wore to bed from the night before as soon as we got Dani. He’s slowly been coming around. He’s a little shy and skittish, but not too bad. Both my fiance and I are interacting with him daily.

Yesterday he was basking under his light and we had the lid off his tank and took turns reaching in and just setting our fingers and inch or so from his nose. When the fiance would reach in, Dani would raise his head and flick his tongue a couple of times on her fingers. When I reached in he would flick his tongue on my finger then raise up on all fours and his tongue would go to flicking like crazy. There seemed to be a definite recognition of my scent as opposed to the fiance’s. His reaction was so intense to my scent that I was a little concerned that I hadn’t cleaned the raw turkey scent off my fingers well enough (got a little worried for a sec).

But it was enough that he actually climbed off the basking rock and stepped onto my hand. I just gently picked him up and immediately let him climb off my hand next to his food bowl.

So I think it definitely makes a difference in his recognition of your smell. How exactly that translates to the taming process, I can’t say with any certainty. But I’d recommend it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980