• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sweet Shed!

tommyboy

I went down to feed my little extreme tonight and found a pretty cool surprise. He shed in almost one entire piece including arms, legs and tail. I know this is probably a common occurrence for some, but it has never happened for me until now. Just get a little over excited over this guy I guess! He gets more and more white after every shed. LOVE HIM :)

Attachments

• IMAG0412.jpg
    IMAG0412.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0415.jpg
    IMAG0415.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0419.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMAG0424.jpg
    IMAG0424.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Pretty darn cool. Mine usually get cut into 4-5 separate pieces from all their rubbing around during shedding time.

tommyboy

Thanks. He is only 20 inches right now. He was hibernating for the last 4 months and now seems like he is growing over an inch a week!

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very nice, they're not easy to get since they shed in pieces or scrape it off rubbing up against stuff. This is from Dino and the largest I've gotten.

On the left you can see the eye cap with his right hand, his whole abdomen then under his hips and thighs came off in one piece.

IMGP0810.jpg

IMGP0807.jpg

j.sawyer48

thats sick lol almika hasnt shed in awhile and has started to have the same shedding problem with her tail again like when she was a hatchling. I have the enclosure at 85 or higher all day and she still wont shed any thoughts?

j.sawyer48

I giver her a bath everytime I taker her out to free roam and now everyday cause her tail is looking horrible. I feed her mice kiwi strawberrys ground turkey mango and chiken breast calcium and vitamns. I've been threw this befor but nuthing I did to fix it will help this time. Her tail has lumps on it that are cracking and it seems her hole body wants to shed but isn't?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would reccomend (if you havnt tried it already) a warm soak with mineral oil or baby oil, I used to do this with iguanas who had bad sheds or wouldn't shed, I havnt had to try it with a tegu yet

j.sawyer48

I'll try that when I get home soo I get baby oil and just mix in with warm water in the tub and let her sit for how long?

I'll post pics when I get outta werk that's if she is still out if not then tomarro. I might just have to bring her to the vet again like I did last yr. The doc gave her some shot and it seemd to get better after that.

j.sawyer48

heres a video my pics suck so lety me know wat u thimk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mhrgIc7EY&feature=g-upl&context=G212124eAUAAAAAAAAAA

AP27

I had tail shed problems quite similar to that if not worse with my red about a a month or so ago. It took lot of time and effort to finally get it all off, but here's what I did: I'd sit for 30 min to an hour every day picking off any pieces that had loose edges and would come off, after that he got a 30 min soak in a warm bath. Then I would put baby oil on his tail to help soften the remaining shed up, and then start it all over again the next day. And I left his humidifier on 12 hours a day to keep the humidity in his enclosure at 70% or above. It took about a week but eventually it all came off. Hope that helps and good luck.

j.sawyer48

thanks ap27 I'll try that for this week and see wat happens if it dosent get better in a week or 2 of doin wat you said I'll prob go to the vet to see wat they can do for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980