• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sweat Boxes for Tegus

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I have been wondering if this will work. Sweat boxes are used with Leopard geckos with much success. What I'm wondering is could the same set up but bigger work for Tegus also. In most cases the whole cage is a sweat box. But I'm wondering if you couldn't use a sweat box instead of having to use so much dirt in the cages. This would solve some of the substrate eating problems. I hear about. It would also make cage clean easier in my opinion. I'm interested in what some of you think about the idea. I don't have all the kinks worked out. But I am willing to discuss other ideas also. Thanks

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
It's a tub with vermiculite or peat moss in it. It's kept damp and also serves as a hide. You keep it in the warmer end so . It's really humid inside. When I kept Ameivas I used a similar set up and they loved it. Tegus are bigger so it would take a large tub for one of them. But I'm wondering if it would work with Tegus.

lizardboy101

5 Year Member
I really don't see why it wouldn't work except u'd have to use a lot of vermicult/peat moss because I'd think they would try and throw it out while diggin...ur making me want to try it now. lol

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
For small Tegus I think it will work perfect. The larger Tegus it will take a huge tub for them. But I figure no larger than the ones that some hibernate them in. Like I said my idea still has a few kinks in it . LOL But I will work them out. Hopefully! LOL

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
LOL I will see what I can come up with. But imagine if you will. Lets just say for a baby. Take a shoe box tub with a good locking lid.Fill it withe Vermicultie or Peat Moss.Id choose a mixture of the 2. Cut a hole in the top of it. Keep it most and on some where about mid way of the warm and cool side. So the Humidity would be high inside it. This would be your main if not only hide.
The main problem I see with this. Is that they will stay in it all the time and you would seldom see them. This is mainly just an idea. That I am looking for input on to try and make it work. It may not work for large Tegus. I think it will work perfect for young ones though. But for large ones. I'm still figuring on that. I am trying to avoid ingestion of the substrate. In an outdoor enclosure this would be avoided. If done a certain way. Indoors we have to worry because the substrate is part of how we control the
humidity. I'm just looking for some way to make things safer and easier. This weigh bowl movements and such things can be noted . That way things health wise doesn't sneak up on you. It's mostly an idea that I wanted help figuring out. But I will try to post some pics of some kind. it'll take me a day or so though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980