• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Sunken Eyes

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would want to get his basking spot back up to 110. Try the plain soft white light and see what happens. Basking lizards are light dependent for activity and mood. Plus the extra heat will boost the metabolism.

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

You can also get bactracin ointment for eyes and put that in the eyes. There is Neosporin optical as well. You want opthalmic ointment.

Eye injuries can be really painful and I'm sure he isn't feeling very well. He may shed off dry, damaged parts of his eyelid skin, and that sensitive, thin skin may have some permanent damage. Unfortunately, there isn't much to do as far as treatment. It is a waiting game to let the body heal, support to keep health up, and keep an eye on things so infection doesn't set in.

GrouchoTegu

Just an update...The vet saved him...They gave him a few different shots and then some meds that I syringe fed him along with powder mix up for food that manually fed him. His eyes are now open, he's no longer dependent on me so he's back to his healthy skittish ways lol.

Since then I pay a lot more attention to his climate. I have made some changes (105 degreees basking), humidifier and heat pad for night time. His diet is a lot more rodents and less ground beef along with fruits. I think I created the environment that got him sick..I feel terrible but now I know that these little guys are lot more sensitive then I gave them credit for with their climate and diet.
LESSON LEARNED!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Congrats on getting him back on track and taking responsibility for the issues.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Good deal! Did they put him on antibiotics?

You know, I'm sure we have all made mistakes in husbandry at one point or another. We all just try to learn from one another and figure out what works best, y'know. Then sometimes we get off track when the weather changes or when we face whatever personal goings-on and we get back on track again. You can't be 100% perfect all the time. You just try to do your best by your animals.

Khoilie

Basking temp should be about 90F-100F.
I had mine at 110-120 when i first got my tegu, he wasnt eating and seemed angry. I went to the reptile store i got him from and the owner told me tegus get miserable in higher temps and prefer around 90-100 in there basking spot and to not listen to people on the internet, so i traded in my bulb for a lower wattage, dropped the temp and his attitude chaged over night and he immediately regained a very healthy apatite. they also enjoy getting misted with water, i use bottled water at room temperature. i plan on buying a fog machine soon for humidity control

hope this helps.

ps. you definately want a mercury vapor bulb. I use Solar Glo 125w and highly recomend it, its the closest thing to real sunlight and they promote a healthy apatite and prevent sickness like metabolic bone disease

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
People have varying opinions on basking temps. I would agree that 120 is too high, but 90 is too low. I would think the ideal would be a basking range of 100-115 with many vertical levels that allows the tegu to find their preferred spot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980