• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

suggestions for 55gal.

mattison187

Ok this is the deal guys. I have a 55gal aquarium I use to house my oscar in. And I recently let my fiance's father have him for his house. Now that I set his tank up and have him all set with the oscar. I have a big empty tank in my living room. So now instead of restocking the tank with fish (I got enough aquariums allready) I'm leaning tward building a hood and getting another herp of some sort. That's where you guys come into play. I have a couple things I'd like the new animal to be. First thing is it hasto be diurnal.( Can't have an empty looking display tank lol) and another is I don't want something who's staple food consist of crickets. My ol' lady is not a fan of bugs. So throw some ideas at me guys. I'm all ears :)

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Poison Dart Frogs...

They are small and you cannot heavily populate their tank, but if you put the time/energy into building a well designed/decorated vivarium for them the planted tank alone will be captivating to look at... then you suddenly notice these little gems hoping/walking/crawling about...

They eat wingless fruit flies and spring tails. The springtails can be populated within the enclosure itself therefore you don't have to ever worry about them. The fruit flies do not make any noise, are wingless so escapees aren't much of a concern and when properly kept they do not smell.

I've been head deep into them for the last 6 months plus. I'm half ashamed to admit I don't own any frogs yet :p But I'm at the tail end of building a rather elaborate two tank 125 gal vivarium... I'll post pics when it's done...

mattison187

Lol that's so funny. I was just talking about dart frogs to my girl earlier today during lunch. Ill hafto look more into them. Any other suggestions?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
how about a bearded dragon although they can be fed crix you can find much better food like silk-worms, butter worms, dubias ect. and if they are older than a year you dont have to feed many bugs just greens and veggies and bugs 1x a week if that much! plus its an animal you can interact with!

Jason

5 Year Member
A ball Python should fit nicely into a 55. No crickets there! If you don't mind spending the extra cash, they come in very pretty colors too.

mattison187

Yea I'm kindof leaning tward a beardie. And deff no ball. The whole nocturnal thing. Are there any smaller monitors or similar that could live in a 4ft enclosure? (I can go up in depth later on just not length)

TEGU_JAKE

5 Year Member
you can get an ackie if you make or buy a bigger cage once it out grows the 55 you will need about a 4x2x2 for an adult

Adam87

5 Year Member
well if ur thinking monitor go with a Savannah. They tame really easy and there really awsome and they don't get very big.... in my eyes like only 4ft. Big for me is 6+ haha

Jefroka

5 Year Member
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefrogranch.com/animals/giant_pixie.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefrogranch.com/animals/giant_pixie.php</a><!-- m -->

...Jefroka

mattison187

Hey adam87 why don't you stop with the dumb posts.. I asked about a 55gal inhabitant. I dont care if you think under 6ft is small.. Your posts are pointless and a waste of mine and anyone trying to help me's time.. If your trying to get your post count up or something go do it somewhere else.. Now back on topic. The more I read about these ackies the more I'm leaning tward one.

fireimp141

Something me an my girl have been discussing is getting a dwarf caimen. Kinda pricey but they stay at around 2.5ft. Granted once they reach full adulthood in 3 yrs or so you might wanna upgrade tanks but they are freakin sweet. My buddy had one and he said they eat anything! Whatever he was eating for dinner he would throw in there and watch it go to town.

kaa

5 Year Member
mattison187 said:
Hey adam87 why don't you stop with the dumb posts.. I asked about a 55gal inhabitant. I dont care if you think under 6ft is small.. Your posts are pointless and a waste of mine and anyone trying to help me's time.. If your trying to get your post count up or something go do it somewhere else.. Now back on topic. The more I read about these ackies the more I'm leaning tward one.

Kinda harsh, no need to get so aggressive. I think he would have stopped if asked nicely.

kaa

5 Year Member
mattison187 said:

Kinda harsh, no need to get so aggressive. I think he would have stopped if asked nicely.

kaa

5 Year Member
Also, I don't think a 55 gal tank is going to be a good enclosure for ackies. They need ALOT of dirt to dig in, there diet is also mainly comprised of insect. as with savs. I would go with maybe a live viv with dart frogs, check out the black jungle website, I built an awesome live viv with there instructions, but never got the frogs. But one day I will.

mattison187

Yea I said in another thread if I went with an ackie or someting else that needs more space I can go bigger but it haso stay 4ft wide. A dwarf caiman? Don't those get as large as an arg. Tegu?

fireimp141

You also aren't allowed to have reptiles in an apt but I got a 3ft gu and a 250 gallon tank. Been through 2 apartment inspections with it. Not that hard to hide. You can get caimens at reptile shows here in tx, don't know how it is anywhere else. But dwarf caimen only get 2.5 - 3ft tops. Not as big as tegus. Hince the dwarf part.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980