• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

substrate question....

KSTAR

5 Year Member
for all the guys that have blues...does anyone use a different type of bedding besides cypress mulch?

AlpineStar

5 Year Member
i switched over to coco fiber about a month ago and it is way better than cypress (imo). they sure seem alot happier on it.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
thanks for the correction dave...and thanks for the suggestion...im going to pick that up and try it out....

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
Yeah, I prefer coconut products much more then Cypress mulch as well. You just have to make sure it doesn't get very dry, other wise its very dusty and is hard on their lungs. Not to mention if its that dry to begin with the substrate isn't your only worry!

Spencer

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
i was using cypress by itself and it wasnt holding humidity like i needed because i have a mesh top, so i added coconut dirt aka eco earth with the cypress mulch, and man not only does it look cooler and holds humidity better than anything else i could ever imagine, spray it once a day IF that, and it stays 70% +, never below 65 ever. Id strongy recommend it, compliments of Mr. King who showed me.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You should still cover 90% of the top to hold in the humidity. The air in the tank needs to be humid too, the screen top allows that to rise straight out.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
yup i still use aluminum foil on the top of course, also helps the overall heat in my cage stay up to par...as well as humidity otherwise the light would evaporate all of it out no matter what substrate i was using. but it deff works better than just cypress, i like the dark look of it too.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
personally i like dirt.

i started raising monitors before i started tegus and i liked how dirt 1. holds humidity really well, 2. holds burrows beautifully (especially if you mix it) 3. its fun watching little monitors and tegus flinging dirt all over the place

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
personally i like dirt.
The only problem with dirt is the Tegu will always be "dirty". I take our male Blue out everyday, I don't want him to get dirt all over me and my clothes. He's gotten impacted from eating his substrate 3 times. Last year I put him on dirt & peat moss for a few days only. He wouldn't burrow in it and looked unhappy. And he'd walk through his water and make a muddy mess all over the place, including himself. He's been on no substrate (only the vinyl flooring) for a few months since his last impaction. We're hoping to sell our Ackies this weekend, maybe I'll put their dirt in his enclosure and try it again. But he's got an infection in one of his front feet, so maybe not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029