• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Substrate question....

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
My personal rule of thumb is every 6 months!, some may do it more regularly others may not. For me I spot check everyday, removing poop and shed. I also will mix up the substrate in the area where they have pooped.

LizardStudent

I pretty much only do spot cleaning, I rarely do an entire substrate change with that much dirt. I have a bioactive cleanup crew and usually just add a layer of fresh substrate to the top every now and then. She doesn't really go to the bathroom in her enclosure ever since tegus usually won't poop where they live/sleep if they can help it, so with all of that and spot cleaning I don't see the point of a substrate change that enormous unless there's a problem (gnat infestation, over soaked, etc)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I only did spot cleaning when I needed, and I don't see the point of doing it now, as he is potty trained and doesn't mess his enclosure. His hide is a wooden open car garage (so to speak) and he rarely if ever burrows. I use Repti-Bark for just something more natural for him, but quite honestly, he couldn't care less about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980