• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Substrate issues

Kimchi.Eli

I've had my red tegu for 2 months now really no issues except for today when I came home from work. He has cypress mulch as his substrate, temps good, humidity good he's been eating perfect for me too. When I came home in both corners of his mouth he had a decent amount of substrate inside of it, I took him out and got as much out of his mouth as he would let me he had a sliver in his gums I had to take out also... it looked like he was trying to eat it ..? Or opened his mouth while burrowed and got a mouth full of it ? Regardless Im going to have to take him to the vet now and make sure he's okay.. he has me super worried. any one else ever have this happen ?? Also I do not trust keeping him in the cypress mulch after this happening, what is something good I could change the substrate to ? Any help appreciated thanks

VenusAndSaturn

I personally use a eco earth and organic top soil mix mainly with just a bit of cypress mulch and moss. This mixture seems to work great for me, I'd just do it without cypress mulch added in.

I hope he'll be okay.

Gary

Cypress is better once they get bigger. I did soil and eco earth as well for the first 6 months

Kimchi.Eli

I personally use a eco earth and organic top soil mix mainly with just a bit of cypress mulch and moss. This mixture seems to work great for me, I'd just do it without cypress mulch added in.

I hope he'll be okay.
Cypress is better once they get bigger. I did soil and eco earth as well for the first 6 months

Thank you I just put eco earth in there I'm going to buy other stuff to mix it with tomorrow and hopefully that helps cause he seems confused about the change>.< he has been doing good though he pooped earlier so I'm sure he's not impacted and is acting normal just hopefully this doesn't happen again

Kimchi.Eli

Did you have any live prey that he maybe dove at and missed? How big is he?

Nope I only feed him outside of his tank so that couldn't have been it this is why this whole situation had me so confused lol. And hes not too big he's around 7-8 months

Attachments

• IMG_3333.JPG
    IMG_3333.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3475.jpg
    IMG_3475.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 21

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members