• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stupid question about shedding

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi all, I did something really stupid and I dont know if it will have any lasting effects. Jasper was shedding a big piece on his back. It looked free and clear so I tugged at it a little. Well he walked away at the same time and some of the skin that I dont think was ready to go let go. It looked like it hurt. Obviously I let go and havent touched it again. This was yesterday. Today I noticed that right there under the flap off skin that is still hanging on the skin/scales look whitish and like they have a coating on them. I didnt like the look of it so I gave him a bath and added some betadine to the water and splashed it on there for about 15 min. H didnt seem to mind this at all but doesnt want me touching the area. It is obvious that it is uncomfortable.

Will there be any lasting scale damage I wonder?

Thanks,
Carole

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Post pics? It's sorta hard to tell how bad it is without pics, but I accidentally did that to a snake a long time ago, and I used betadyne, and it healed up fine.
Good luck.

gebris353

5 Year Member
When Juancho sheds her whole body does at the same time, except for her tail. So once I see it's baggy under her arms and she is kinda pissed scratching herself everywhere, I take it off. A week after I can see her tail shedding so I do the same, of course very carefully but I know when to stop after all this time. I do this cause what you are saying happened to her in her first shed, it got stuck with a log and she kept walking so it was whitish where it broke, but nothing else happened, after a few days she shed it completly so the whitish gone. But since it doesnt seem good I help her with every shed. :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan