• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Strange Tegu Mouth (possible infection?)

Blackthunderdog

5 Year Member
Hey my name is Jon- I'm new to this site and I'm new to the world of Tegus. I purchased my baby Argentine B & W in early september when he was tinted a deep emerald green. Much of the coloration has disappeared since then- but something strange has come to my attention. There's a rusty reddish lesion-like mark on the left side of his mouth. There also appears to be a slight mis-alignment of his upper and lower jaws (only on the left side though). I tried to get some good pictures of him- but he gets so excited when i take him out that I had to wait until he was asleep on the window ledge (which accounts for the poor lighting).
I feed him about 4-6 large calcium dusted crickets a day.. and change his water on a daily basis. Right now he's in a 30 gal- but I've got a 60 gal for when he gets older. If anyone has any hints or suggestions- PLEASE don't hesitate to send them on down. I'm still a novice here!

DSCN1532-1.jpg

DSCN1534.jpg

DSCN1536.jpg

DSCN1538.jpg

DSCN1540.jpg

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

jor71

5 Year Member
Ok, i am not sure but that might be MBD. Also, he/she looks quite malnourished. You can't just feed him crickets everyday. You need to give it a variety of food. Also, you need to provide him/her with UVB. You cannot get that by putting him/her next to a window. The glass filters the UVB and so does a screen.

Here is a list of food you can use:

http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353

I am no expert but I think you need to get him/her to a vet before it is too late.....Please if anyone thinks I am wrong, please say so!

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Crickets are more like a snack in my opinion. Unless your adding a dust with protein added. The the crickets aren't gonna be much use. He should be much bigger. Not sure if it's MBD but it may be. If it were me and I was just feeding crickets. I would get a bottle of T Rex Chameleon or gecko dust. It is 25% protein and formulated with d3 and all the calcium and important things babies need in their systems. A Flourescent uv light will help with the D3. Mercury Vapor Bulbs are best in my opinion. But you need to get some better protein feeders. Pinkie rats or mice would be a good start. It would do you good to read this site over every chance you get. This site is a wealth of info.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.