• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

stopped eating

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Anybody elses extremes stopped eating? Boon took a few bites of some soft boiled egg the other day, but that's all he's had in 3 days. He's still active and starting to dig alot more than before, just losing his appetite.. Could he be getting ready to start hibernating so soon?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
His basking spot is 106F, coolest spot is his hide on the other end at 78F. The light cycle is same as outside, my timer turns the basking and uvb light on about an hour after it's light in my room from the windows and an hour before it gets completely dark.

I don't think it's hibernation now tho.. i think Boon has just settled in enough to start getting really pissy with me :-D . He flees like a mad dog from my approaching hand now and when I do manage to scoop him up it's usually with a finger in his mouth. I don't want him to get used to me feeding him in his enclosure(trying to avoid cage aggression). As of right now I don't see many other options.. he just stresses out when I go in his space.

After he's out he's completely fine. He'll walk all over the place and doesn't spook when I approach him to put him back.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Forgot to mention he is eating now but only if i put the food in his enclosure.. I dont' want to do it, but I figure it's either start a bad habit or have a pissed off hungry tegu(wont eat anymore if I move him out).

Beazer

5 Year Member
I had the same situation with my 2 extremes last year. Took them a long while to calm down and trust me. I basically just kept the light cycles normal and would go in to see what times theyd be out cruising so i could put the food in ahead of time. Though, the cage feeding can be a bad idea, its the only way. But with my argentine, hes fed all the time inside or out and he doesnt get all hungry. The extremes are definitely something different, my male has yet to calm down lol. He is out for blood but I didnt buy them for the handling part.

-Jon DeLong

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu