• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stopped eating

tracyanderson777

5 Year Member
recently my tegu attempted to hibernate i believe hed sleep in for days and seeing as i did not plan on having him do so ive bumped up the heat in his cage it did wake him right up. and now he is beginning to be his normal self coming out running around climbimg random stuff around the house.... but......

HE WONT EAT AT ALLL !!!!!

at first i figured he was just not hungry for a coincidential couple days but hes barely eaten in a week. in fact 9 days. i do not think that its constapation cause he looks healthy and strong and has no problems getting around but i do think his body might be in some sort of a hibernation mode where hes not eating ???? am i right somewhat

thank you all in advance

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
mine has not eaten in three weeks. they slow down and rest alot in the fall and winter even if you keep the temps normal. if you dont plan to hybernate him then you should leave the temps normal (not elevated) and continue to offer food (although you can offer less frequently and in smaller amounts) always have fresh water for him.once the winter sets in you may not see him very much at all. but if your offering food i wouldnt reduce the temperature in the enclosure.

throneofjade

5 Year Member
Mine just started showing signs of hibernation. He loved to eat but now is only a few bites here and there. Darn fall/winter time.

wyattroa

5 Year Member
mine went in for i think 4 days and didnt come out.. came out today and ate 3 small mice and 1 good sized one for 4 total and is in the middle of a shed now. so who knows
robert

cornking4

5 Year Member
Another thing that I noticed is that their defecation schedule mixes up. Instead of going daily (urate and feces), he's recently started having one MAJOR bowel movement every 3-4 days, still eating the normal amount every day. He's also been coming out for about 15 minutes every day, during which time I have to sneak his feeding time in. Stupid winter slow down....

gboleslavsky

5 Year Member
My 1 yo 42" red stopped eating well 3 weeks ago, now takes some fruit a few times a week and is awake but slow, the yo 40" Giant still eats a rat or a chick every 2-3 days. 3 mo 16" BW eats as well as he has been in the past 8 weeks, hopefully won't try to hibernate. I keep both the large 10x4 and the 20 gal cages hot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu