• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Still in hibernation?

mguy

5 Year Member
MY Argentine Black and White tegu has been in hibernation since late november he is now about 1 year and 2 months, it is his first hibernation. Will he be coming out soon?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He should be if all is well.. Boon is a late sleeper too, I only get to see him ~5 months of the year!!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tegus breed in the spring onlyÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ which means ones born in the northern hemisphere are born around July and ones born In the southern hemisphere are born around Feb. If yours is 1 year 2 months then it sounds like it was born in the southern hemisphere but is already hibernating per northern hemisphere seasonsÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ this just seems odd to meÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

But back on topicÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

My Arg B&W hibernated from Oct/Nov until April/May of last year. It went into hibernation despite regular warm conditions and was kept in hibernation under typical household temps (high 60s~low 70s). His cage was placed outdoors once the overnight lows in Char NC stopped dropping below 50*F which was in late April. He began coming out and enjoying sun bathing during the heat of the day for at least a week or two before becoming Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??activeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã? or beginning to eating any notable quantity.

His second winter I attempted to replicate Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??naturalÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã? heat/light conditions cooling his cage slowly in the fall and warming it slowly in the spring. Despite these conditions he only slept for 6~8 weeks in full hibernation. The rest of the winter heÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s just slowed down in activity/eating. HeÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s still not Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??fully activeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã? like he is in the summer, but he is awake and moving every day. He eats most days of the week but the meals are not what I would consider Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??full mealsÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?Â.

My theory is to attempt to replicate natural conditions as best I can and let them do whatever feels natural to them within these conditions.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Both of my All American Tegu hatchlings are still hibernating ( one since September and one since October ).

mguy

5 Year Member
Mine just came out a few days ago and I offered food today and he ate. There goes my wallet

wyattroa

5 Year Member
Dear Tegu,
Please come out of your hole.
Love,
Your owner

mine is still down, came out for one day 2 weeks ago and have not been out since.
Robert

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i wish mines were in hibernation, none of them really hibernated with me and i have no idea why,nero i got at 5wks decided she wasnt going down, achilles i got in december slept for maybe 2-3 wks and then he has been up everyday since, pyro i got in march slept for maybe a week then he cme out redy to eat! my wallet is starting to cry, lol these guys can really eat! maybe they will sleep this winter!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i wish mines were in hibernation, none of them really hibernated with me and i have no idea why,nero i got at 5wks decided she wasnt going down, achilles i got in december slept for maybe 2-3 wks and then he has been up everyday since, pyro i got in march slept for maybe a week then he cme out redy to eat! my wallet is starting to cry, lol these guys can really eat! maybe they will sleep this winter!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus