• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Starting to Design, need advice

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
olympus said:
Thanks for that I appreciate it.

Anytime bro, anytime. I believe in fair arguments or disagreements, but I don't agree with people jumping on you just because you gave good advice. How was anyone supposed to know what his idea of a cage was? If you don't back up your points, your spitting in the wind. And the whole "half-a**ed answers thing was a personal shot at us all. We all do the best that we can.

And Dave the 30" door openings in my house couldn't fit those amazing pieces. I just use my garage, I completely resealed everything and have it set up like a rainforest. As soon as I finish, I'm gonna pay this hippie chick to paint the whole thing like a realy rainforest.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
And Dave the 30" door openings in my house couldn't fit those amazing pieces.
They're made in top & bottom pieces. The top is about 24" high. They fit through my 30" doors! :wink:

AB^

5 Year Member
Ari Gold said:
I have an 07 red tegu who is in hibernation right now. My goal is to get his final adult size enclosure built by the time he wakes up.

my plan is to let him free roam most of the day/night when I'm home. so with that can I reduce the size of the suggested enclosure from 8x4x4 to something more reasonable for my room which is only 10ftx10ft?

what do you think will be needed to give an adequate basking/sleeping area? with proper range of temp.

I'm trying to make this as small as possible only because my entire room/apartment will likely be his playground so he doesnt need all of the stimulation in his cage that he would otherwise need.

hope you get what I'm saying and can help, thanks in advance!

also, height isnt an issue, if a multi level would work I'd be really into that Idea to save space.

Well, Despite the rest of this thread
I think that in a room 10 x 10 that was tegu proofed you could build a cage no smaller than 5 x 3 and have a swing down door to act as a ramp in and out of the cage (obviously elevated for the substrate dam) for easy access to where the primary basking spot and (humid)hide spots are if the tegu was to be loose in the room the vast majority of the time then you should be ok. You could even set up additional basking spots with in the room as I use in my living room on occasion when I let something wander.

If this is a cluttered room like a cramped bedroom then you'll need a bigger cage to keep better eye on your tegu. The hardest part is blocking off areas you dont want your animal to go especially younger ones . I'm sure you have noticed your tegu squeeze into some tight spots before it went into brumation.

Though I think in your plan you're under the assumption that your tegu will be out and about when you are. Frankly that's just not the way it works, though you could just pull your tegu out of its hole when you want to interect with it but that is a crummy thing to do. With my tegus I only get to see them on the weekends really. Occasionally I will see my argentine before I leave for work but most of the time I dont see them until the weekends (all I get to see is empty food dishes when I come home)
So unless you have no school or work you may want to take that into consideration.

as far as the rest of the thread goes..

arie you were kinda a **** in the way you responded to another member and acted towards all of us, but I understand the aggravation of feeling someone is just feeding you regurgitated garbage (not saying this has happened here, but I do know from other forums)
anyways, I hope you stick around after the suspension and help us build this community and add innovative ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980