• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Starting Hibernation

povmichael123

5 Year Member
So I decided to follow all of your guys' wonderful advice and do what my Tegu wants. He really wants to go into hibernation and I started to reduce his heating and light cycle to 8 hours a day. He has not been fed since Saturday and was under his bedding since Sunday, so today he came out and let out a nice little present for me and continued basking in his hot spot. Now I just want to make sure that I am doing everything right. Does this sound good so far in the start to put him under for the winter? And what is the next step to reduce his lighting to six hours and then move him into my closet? And last, how do I go about transferring him into his box? I hope I am doing everything right, it really seems like I am, just want to make sure.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I always used the natural light cycle. When winter time comes around. Their bodies let them know. They move around off an on for a little while. The cooler temps trigger things also. So keep that in mind. Most times you don't know when they are going down for the rest of the season. But everything sounds good so far.

povmichael123

5 Year Member
Awesome I had a feeling I was doing things right just wanted an experienced opinion on the matter. Now how would I go about moving him or could I leave him inside his enclosure?

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
I just left mine in their cage. Once mine were down. You could dig them up to check on them and they would go right back to sleep. Stupid me at the time. I was mad cause I had just paid out good money and wasn't going to get to enjoy them. lol That's when I contacted Bert and he set me straight on things. So when they woke up. I got to enjoy them and got the best lizard experience. I have ever had with a reptile. Tegus are very rewarding creatures when you have their trust.Just don't rush things. Everything will be good.

povmichael123

5 Year Member
haha I did the same thing to be honest. I bought him last monday and the guy didnt really know that they slowed down which didn't help my situation being a new owner so I had no idea they went into hibernation until I started to research more. He is an awesome little Tegu and I hope he will become an awesome companion pet as well which I know will happen with a bit of love and time. Thank you so much again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029