• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stand off-ish

Vestathetegu

hello :) I’ve had my b&w tegu for about two months. I didn’t get her as a hatchling, and to be honest, I have no idea how old she is (maybe someone can tell me if I post a picture?) she and I have pretty much established a good relationship. Doesn’t try to bite me and is not ever aggressive. I have noticed that when I take her out of her enclosure (her enclosure is outside, I live in Florida) and bring her inside and spend time together and take a bath, she is so sweet with me, and falling asleep next to me and very loveable, but when I go to feed her the next day, she runs into hiding. I never chase her or move quickly or anything, I always approach her slowly but it seems like the next day after having her out of the enclosure, she dodged me. I am a little confused. Not sure if I should just continue to take her out often or whether to leave her alone. Her enclosure is big enough for me to sit in, and that’s how I got her to trust me in the first place, but it seems like I always have to start over by climbing in the cage for a few days before she likes me again

Attachments

• 9E85988D-7B31-42CB-B136-2B9D031BC21A.jpeg
    9E85988D-7B31-42CB-B136-2B9D031BC21A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 29

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If this has been happening for a long time, then I'd stop. Otherwise, could be she just needs time to fingure out that it's all the same.

Vestathetegu

I actually went into her enclosure today and she immediately crawled on me. Maybe she wasn’t in the mood when I saw her this morning? She and I are still trying to read each other, I suppose

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Stay consistent in your behavior. That goes a long way in trust with them.

Vestathetegu

I try my best to, thank you. You wouldn’t happen to have any idea how old she is, or an estimated guess? I attached a photo to the original post. I tried my best to measure her from head to base of tail and she’s between 8-9 inches, if that makes a difference. I didn’t get her as a hatchling

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I try my best to, thank you. You wouldn’t happen to have any idea how old she is, or an estimated guess? I attached a photo to the original post. I tried my best to measure her from head to base of tail and she’s between 8-9 inches, if that makes a difference. I didn’t get her as a hatchling
She looks to be about one year old.

Vestathetegu

Thank you, I read things on here about common mannerisms of certain ages of tegus and I never really knew what catagory I could put her in

Vestathetegu

I’m pretty sure she was. When I got her, she was already used to being handled but she’s still has sort of a wild thing going on

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980