• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Some Thursday herpin

Beazer

5 Year Member
Went out for a hike thursday (the 6th) and found a few fence lizards and 6 mud turtles. Unfortunately I did not have my camera on me but did have my camera phone. The turtles were at the bottom of a small stretch of stream that ran about 30ft before being damned up by debris and was about 6ft wide and 4ft the most in depth. All were put back exactly where they were found. Stream felt about mid 60's (F) temps were about 70ish. Lol, this was a last minute hike for some thinking so I didn't read up on weather. The 6th was found in a seperate section of the stream but I had to head to work so I tried to take a pic of it underwater. Its good to see more of them in the area but I am not sure if it really is all that good. Crayfish have destroyed the pupfish habitat, I never see garter snakes there and havent seen a pupfish in that stream for 4yrs now, and so I guess they may be over populated to an extent? Though, mud turtles do eat vegetation and probably whatever insects fall into the stream. Just hard to say lol, sorry thinking out loud there. Try to enjoy, the pics are crappy.

0306081220Medium.jpg

0306081227Medium-1.jpg

and here is the 6th.

0306081240Large.jpg

-Jon DeLong

ZEKE

5 Year Member
lol yeah i did too at first. i was wonderin why he was posting pics of animal poop

gebris353

5 Year Member
Lmao I thought that too, that happens when we want to see the pics first haha! Nice herping day! :-D

joshandjack

5 Year Member
wow ive never seen pictures of mud turtles like that. i always see clean ones in field guides. so did you have to pull them out of the mud? and where was this, arizona??? pretty cool. btw

Beazer

5 Year Member
Yessir, good old AZ. I found them at the bottom of the stream slowly walking. If they were in the mud I'd have left them alone for sure. Cute little guys though. I have another post somewhere one here with Sonoran mud turtles. Most I've found have been dirty looking. Either brown muddy look or green long algae. I've seen a few times in the wild them eating the algae off each others shells. Pretty interesting stuff. Love the little guys, lol.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ZEKE said:
nice! is the second pic an underwater pic? is your phone water proof?

Lol, Zeke took the pic with his cell phone; probs not water proof...took it with the turtle underwater and the phone above water

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980