• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

So uh, someone tell me about this hibernating thing haha

thomasjg23

So how do you control whether a Gu hibernates or not? Should I be prepared for it? And is there anyone skilled enough to estimate the sex of a 15" baby if i send em high detail pics?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
you cant control hibernation its up to the tegu, i would just be prepared just to be on the safe side, its hard just looking at a pic but why not just post it? bobby hill is the expert on sexing young tegus.

carcharios

5 Year Member
I leave my tegus outside and when it cools in October, they start coming out of their hide as frequently. I wait about two weeks (gives them time to empty their digestive system) and then move them inside into large rubbermaid tubs filled with cyprus mulch (I may add dirt this year instead). I then bring the tubs inside my house and store them in the closet until early to mid April, when the weather starts warming up around here - I live in MD. This year I may add a large sponge with water so as to keep their tubs more humid. I do check them periodically to see how they're doing while in hibernation.

thomasjg23

I don't waaaaaaaaaaaaaant it to hibernate! I'll be in Johnstown Pa the cold A hole of the world and he is an import so he may want to

G

If you don't want it to hibernate just make sure it is heated all year round and has about 50% daylight cycle.
Without large joules, feeling for the 2 hemi bumps or probing your tegu all anyone can do is give you a guess. At 15" they will most likely be about 0-25% accurate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214