• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

So I finally got my new Tegu!

What do you guys predict? Will he be a higher white? Or a normal BnW?

• Chacoan High White

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Chacoan BnW

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He has been sleeping quite a bit, but as you said he peeks out and even basks after about 4pm. His light blew out about a day or 2 ago, so it's been around high 60s-70s in his enclosure. I take him outside during the day and let him bask on the grill while I'm out there just so he gets the proper UV and heat.

During brumation would he still need both lamps on? Or could I leave the UVB off?

Here's some pics from yesterday:
View attachment 13975 View attachment 13976 View attachment 13977 View attachment 13978
You're a caring steward of your tegu. In my opinion, in this case you're playing with fire and lucky more than you know. You'll feel awful to lose him. Consider a leash.

You're a caring steward of your tegu. In my opinion, in this case you're playing with fire and lucky more than you know. You'll feel awful to lose him. Consider a leash.
Thanks! and yeah I'll definitely pick one up, what would you recommend as the best brand to go with?

Here's some clearer pics from that day outside, I can't help but take tons of pics of him lol, his colors are just so striking:

-_9:26:19_-3.jpeg
-_9:26:19_-5.jpeg
-_9:26:19_-7.jpeg
-_9:26:19_-10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-26 at 3.12.56 PM-3.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-09-26 at 3.12.56 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
What do you guys do when it comes to feeding your Tegus during the Winter? My Tegu's been sleeping a lot, entire days at a time and I'm sure it's due to brumation/temp drops, however I don't know whether to feed him and keep the lights on all day or? I've been feeding him here and there but he only briefly comes out before going back into his underground den.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Cool temps, a basking light on for reduced time. When hungry he'll scratch around.

So monthly update, he's still brumating, hasn't really left his den he's created (combination of a piece of my t shirt, his dirt/sand substrate and some rocks, pretty proud of how creative he's become lol)

However he doesn't come out, i only know he's still alive because i check under his slate every now and again to see him still in a deep sleep. I don't want him to starve to death, however he's not overly skinny so i'm assuming he's packed in all his fats like a bear, but he's still thinner than i'd like right now.

He gets annoyed when i move his rock so i try not to do it often, but i just wanted to know, do these guys normally brumate/sleep for this long at such a young age? I've had him since July, and i read Tegus only start to brumate when they hit about a year or so.

He hasn't eaten but i took him out of his den a month ago and he drank water for a solid 5 minutes straight.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Lochlan

Man I wish that I could have experienced mine as a baby I just got mine a month and a half ago and he's around the same age as yours (he's around 22 inches) and when I got him he wasn't worked with so I'm just now gaining his trust. You shouldn't have to worry about him brumating mine hasn't gone into brumation yet and I live in Colorado but I do have experience in brumating with other reptiles as long as he doesn't get to skinny or coughing or anything like that you should be fine
IMG_20200118_141527.jpg
IMG_20200117_173608_2.jpg
IMG_20191218_141908.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced