• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Snake bursts after gobbling gator(not for the squeamish)

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is an older article and some of you might of seen it already, but I found it interesting enough to share.

1.jpg

An unusual clash between a 6-foot (1.8m) alligator and a 13-foot (3.9m) python has left two of the deadliest predators dead in Florida's swamps.
The Burmese python tried to swallow its fearsome rival whole but then exploded.

The remains of the two giant reptiles were found by astonished rangers in the Everglades National Park.

The rangers say the find suggests that non-native Burmese pythons might even challenge alligators' leading position in the food chain in the swamps.

Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species

Prof Frank Mazzotti

The python's remains were found with the victim's tail protruding from its burst midsection. The head of the python was missing.

"Encounters like that are almost never seen in the wild... And here we are," Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

"They were probably evenly matched in size. If the python got a good grip on the alligator before the alligator got a good grip on him, he could win," Professor Mazzotti said.

He said the alligator may have clawed at the python's stomach, leading it to burst.

"Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species," Prof Mazzotti said.

He said that there had been four known encounters between the two species in the past. In the other cases, the alligator won or the battle was an apparent draw.

Burmese pythons - many of whom have been dumped by their owners - have thrived in the wet and hot climate of Florida's swamps over the past 20 years.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4313978.stm">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4313978.stm</a><!-- m -->

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Lol. I've never wanted a burm, but think of this. A pet, established food chain dominance over one of americas most dangerous predators. Why do American animals suck? Haha.

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
After seeing (and reading) this a second time, I find it even harder to believe it happened naturally.

- Exploded stomach? the python's midsection doesn't appear nearly distended enough to cause it to burst from internal pressure.
- Swallowed alive? pythons very rarely do this. I'm sure we've all seen it happen, but its not common, even less so with mature individuals.
- Snake Missing Head? this just yells "sick prank".

How humans could have done this is simple to imagine.

Otherwise, we must believe a chain of events like this:
1. Burmese python constricts gator.
2. Burm swallows gator.
3. Gator comes back to like in snake's belly.
4. Gator claws its way out and eats snake's head.
5. Gator climbs back into its belly and dies of suffocation.

Just ain't possible.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Isn't it possible another creature came along and ate the head? Why the head alone...I don't know. I don't why a human would do this then just chop off the head to make it look more real. Maybe the Burm only knocked the gator out lol unlikely but who knows.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Nyarlathotep said:
After seeing (and reading) this a second time, I find it even harder to believe it happened naturally.

- Exploded stomach? the python's midsection doesn't appear nearly distended enough to cause it to burst from internal pressure.
- Swallowed alive? pythons very rarely do this. I'm sure we've all seen it happen, but its not common, even less so with mature individuals.
- Snake Missing Head? this just yells "sick prank".

How humans could have done this is simple to imagine.

Otherwise, we must believe a chain of events like this:
1. Burmese python constricts gator.
2. Burm swallows gator.
3. Gator comes back to like in snake's belly.
4. Gator claws its way out and eats snake's head.
5. Gator climbs back into its belly and dies of suffocation.

Just ain't possible.

Dude why are so pessimistic, and condescending? Geez man... HAHAHA you're like my long lost twin bro! Your posts rock! I'm Drew! We should hang.

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
Pessimistic, well, yeah, maybe a little ;) Condescending? Sorry if I came across that way. I'm just a little leery about news reporters and stories. They always seem to frame articles to say "Oooo! Reptiles are scaaary! Look at the monster pets! Go go Godzilla!"

I dunno, maybe the article just reminded me of the "sick kids" in high school and their Monday bragging (about the firecracker they taped to a squirrel or cat they kicked). I suppose it is _possible_ that this occurred naturally...

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Nyarlathotep,
you weren't condescending no worries :D :D :D

Lol, no not condescending. I was just trying to show that you remind me a lot of myself and it made me laugh. I have to admit, this snake/alli battle seems more fishy than Paris Hilton to me.

nat

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
Lol. I've never wanted a burm, but think of this. A pet, established food chain dominance over one of americas most dangerous predators. Why do American animals suck? Haha.

no way man! We have the polar bear! The only known predator to actively include humans into their diet (most predators will only hunt man if they are sick, old, or desperate). Also the largest predator on land in the world!

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Lol. Well I guess the polar bear is ok, but I'm not a real fan of very many mammals, the only cool american mammals to me are the malamute and the timber wolf, besides that, every other cool mammal is imported. We have a few cool snakes, but nothing tickles my fancy here. I like rough green snakes though. I think that sums up america. Lol. And you're in canada!

nat

5 Year Member
canada is still north america, you didn't say united states of america so I assumed any american animal was up for nomination :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980