• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

snake breeding

preston897

im wanting to get into breeding some snakes. my only problem is figuring out what to breed. im looking for an interesting smaller bodied snake. i was looking at rough green snakes but from what i understand they are fairly difficult to breed and the need UVB? is that true? like i said im looking for somthing small around that size. any ideas? ANY idea is more the welcome

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rough green snakes are tons of fun but require much more space than similarly sized or even larger snakes. I've kept a few in the past and they did really well in a 55 gallon, well planted, naturalistic vivarium. Feeding is a blast and they'll eat basically any insect they can chase down once settled(caterpillars were always a favorite of mine). I remember reading that unlike most snakes these guys do need better lighting but I couldn't offer evidence to the contrary as I always had a uvb tube-light on mine.

I definitely recommend keeping them but if space is an issue they're probably not a great candidate for breeding, corn snakes and ball pythons take up very little space by comparison. Rough green snakes are in my opinion the best display snake but are quick and flighty so not great for handling. Out of the few I've kept only 1 handled well, the others would just try to get away(never did any bite or show signs of aggression).

preston897

at some point im going to have to get one. they are beautiful. i have actually been looking into garter snakes. there are some very pretty species out there and some awsome morphs!

AB^

5 Year Member
Garter snakes are indeed my favorite snakes. Small and attractive, plus they are live bearers so no messing with eggs.

Here's just a couple of mine

DSC08689.jpg

DSC08826.jpg

I should have some w/c adult blue ones for sale next week - if you're interested pm me

preston897

im not to sure bout the w/c. and i have to finish my tegus cage before i can but anything else. can you cross breed the differant species of garter snake?

G

Those are way cool !!On a summer day I can go out to the gardens And catch a half dozen snakes that I call garter snakes some times we have baby ones everywhere . The ones here are red spotted or whatever but there seems to be some that are yellow spotted that prefer the creeks .

preston897

yea im really enjoying them. and it seems like you dont see them to much in to pet trade. at least here in texas. you can get them at petsmart but thats about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980