• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Snails and Worms.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
Where could I find Snails and Earth Worms? I've heard about detoxing snails from pet store fishtanks or getting human food type snails but I'm not certain. I've no idea where to get Earthworms. Same with Baby chickens and Crayfish.

Thanks,

Shannon

Schnab

5 Year Member
I get my earthworms from under patio bricks or when it's raining they spawn everywhere. Snails, I'm not sure. You could just get the ones at a grocery store.. in the end, a snails a snail.

Depending on where you'r from you could go on a trading site like kijiji or usedottawa and sometimes theres people who post ads for baby quails.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
What about parasites, pesticides or polluted they may have come in contact with? I also live in Canada so I can really only go looking for stuff like that between maybe May to August. Even then it's a bit difficult lol

Thanks though.

Tux

5 Year Member
I used to breed nightcrawlers but I haven't in a few years, Canadian Feeders still does and I may in the future as they are pretty easy to raise. Baby chicks I get from a local hatchery, I do need to start selling them as they seem hard to get here but again future project so I can't help you there besides saying look local. We used to catch crayfish but obviously it isnt the season atm, not sure where to get them this time of year. Snails are hit and miss, i'll see what I can find as most ppl seem to be low on stock (not many breeders).

You know this post has really made me think about my business setup considering I'm working on a reptile feeder business.

Schnab

5 Year Member
Shaylah said:
What about parasites, pesticides or polluted they may have come in contact with? I also live in Canada so I can really only go looking for stuff like that between maybe May to August. Even then it's a bit difficult lol

Thanks though.

I'm in Canada aswell, I guess going to a good fish store would a way of getting snails. But if the snail was sold in a food market, I doubt they'd have parasites since it's ment to go on our plate. Ones from a petshop would most likely be the ones to be sick.

Schnab

5 Year Member
It was a lucky find. :lol:

Back then I hade no idea of how to get one since every breeder I found didn't ship outside US (I even asked Bobby before I became member XD), but my bf actualy found a place in Missisauga that had some. you can check out their site here, they sometimes have crocodilians for sale lol.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.portcreditpets.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.portcreditpets.com/</a><!-- m -->

Schnab

5 Year Member
yeh? You should wait til breeding season for a fresh batch. There's this girl on youtube who got hers from there too around the same time as I got mine. I personaly don't know her, I just came across it. I find mine to be gorgeous, coming from them. I was really surprised to how it looked. I don't know if it's the case all the time, but the tegus I've seen coming from there tend to have a nice spotted patern.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I'll probably end up waiting awhile but if I find one at the Reptile Expo in Mississauga on Feb 22... I dunno if I'll be able to help myself. lol

I think Port Credit has some Tegus available right now.

EDIT:

Port Credit actually just updated their list today and they just got some new Tegus in. I'm so excited :D:D:D

Tux

5 Year Member
Be careful, although Grant isn't a bad guy his store is total crap, the kids that seem to always be working don't know anything it's rather sickening. I'm working on getting some Varnyard stock in Canada this season, just have to do some $ calculations.

I'll be at the Expo in Feb picking up a few things if anyone wants to meet up.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I've been to their store a couple times. It was iffy.

Where does everyone get their Tegus to sell here? WHERE ARE THESE SECRET BREEDERS? I want an Argentine Red or Black and White.

Probably a black and white more than anything.

I looked for ones to adopt but I swear, the people who're looking for homes for them over price them...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980