• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Snack time for Sampson!

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
It was meaty food day for my spiny tail today. I can't explain it, it's like a switch flips when he sees these worms. He'll tripod and even leap to get at them.
Eating1.jpg

Eating2.jpg

Eating3.jpg

Eating4.jpg

Eating05.jpg

I love this face:
Eating5.jpg

Eating6.jpg

Eating7.jpg

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eating8.jpg

Here's a still shot if you couldn't get a good look:
Pectinata4.jpg

Bobby, I know you said you wanted to get some of these in the future. All I can say is that they are tons of fun. They have a lot of spunk and overall are my favorite iguana species for many reasons. I like other species, but Pectinatas obtain a very manageable size, have excellent color, and are very personable.

Thanks for stopping by.

-Chris

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow awesome boy you got there!!! beautiful colors! Your lucky

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Cute pics and handsome lizard! When it's bug feeding time for the Ctenos here it's always fun. I feed crickets to my bakeri by hand just for the challenge of keeping my fingers intact! LOL

What is that icky looking stuff in the bowl? Is that what you feed daily?

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
The "icky stuff" is some shaved zucchini mixed with Rep Cal. It's not what I feed him daily. He also likes tomatoes, squash, and green beens that I've sprouted for him. I'm having trouble getting him to eat his collard and mustard greens. He just doesn't seem interested in them at all.

Any tips Jif? My Similis loves greens, so this is very confusing for me. As you can tell from the pics, he doesn't appear to be sick and lethargic at all.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Does he eat the stuff that's in the bowl? If he does, my suggestion is to shred the greens pretty fine and mix them into the zucchini and RepCal. Mine eat their greens really well when they are topped with a ground up mix of squashes, sweet potato, parsnip, and a little bit of carrot.

Picture049.jpg

30216brothers.jpg

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Jif, you always make me so jealous! Those are some real lookers you got there. We'll have to have a contest to see who makes sexier babies in the future.

Lexi: I got him from a guy somewhere in the continental United States. (Lol) Sorry, but I'm trying to get a female and I don't want any competition.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
shiftylarry said:
Jif, you always make me so jealous! Those are some real lookers you got there. We'll have to have a contest to see who makes sexier babies in the future.

Lexi: I got him from a guy somewhere in the continental United States. (Lol) Sorry, but I'm trying to get a female and I don't want any competition.

Larry, I have had a few different types of Ctenosaurs, I just never had the Pectinatas. You say you are looking for a female, have you tried contacting Kelly Paul?

Your male is looking awesome, keep up the great work!! :)

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I have. He is a nice guy, but wont have any females for a while. I'm pretty positive that I'll just have to be patient for a bit. It doesn't exactly matter. He's not mature yet, but I think it'd be better to raise them up together in terms of compatibility for future breeding.

I love all ctenos. I wish they got more attention in some respects, but then again the pet trade has decimated the Green Iguana, so maybe it's better if they only fall into the hands of serious breeder/keepers like you and Jif. That way there'll be less fatalities.

If you get some in the future, let me know. They are my favorite spiny tail species so far (sorry Oscar, you are still loved), but there are other species that are so rare in the trade, I've just never gotten the chance to have experience with them.

But I'm pretty sure Jif owns all of them LOL.

Thanks for the comments.

-Chris

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
Chris, there are still a couple of species that I don't have that I would like to keep some day. I've not been successful obtaining melanosterna altho I've come close a couple of times. I'd also like to keep defensor if some ever become available.

I've picked up several palearis over the last couple of years, which is exciting because they are considered endangered now and hopefully will be protected in their natural habitat. I really like this little species...not much "pet" value but they are really fun to watch. I also think they are quite attractive as adults.

485palearis1.JPG

Picture081.jpg

I have no immediate breeding plans with any of my Ctenos or Cyclura. The rescue keeps me way too busy for that. Maybe in a few years I'll consider it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus