• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Smelly Tegu

rebeccaej

5 Year Member
Strange question... I've never had to deal with this since I only have snakes besides my tegu and snakes don't emit any odor.

My tegu has developed a smell over the last couple of days... a highly unpleasant one at that. Ironically, it isn't her enclosure, as once I remove her from it the enclosure has no smell at all. When I put my nose to her skin, especially her back, she wreaks. I washed her with a little bit of mild soap today, which she didn't mind, but I don't think that got rid of the smell at all. I can also smell it closer to her head than her tail. Could she have bad breath? Is it her skin that stinks?

And most importantly... any ideas on how to get rid of it?

Thanks!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had this happen to me. My tegu wreaked horribly as if he had just rolled around in his own feces. I gave him a quick look over and I couldn't see anything wrong or on him. I gave him a bath in just water and after I dried him, he still smelled...bad! I thought to myself maybe he is just getting ready to defecate and sure enough that was the case. He let out a nice big nasty pasty dump lol for lack of better words. Thus, the smell was gone. Maybe this is what's about to happen with your guy.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think Joe would be right on this one, tegus are not known to have scent glands, it must be the breath or feces.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mike's female is having this same smelly issue right now...right when I am lizard sitting her and her boyfriend! It is really stinking the area up :p Maybe she will dump today when I give her a 'lil bath...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.