• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

smelly eggs

erk

5 Year Member
I have 2.2 P. Picta. One of the females is about 9 months old. She has never been with a male. She has laid 4 eggs in the past 20 days. My question is, do non-fertile eggs stink when they go bad or do just fertile eggs stink, when bad?

erk

5 Year Member
When I remove them from her enclosure they crack. I can smell an awful stench coming from the cracks in the egg. P. Picta eggs are hard shelled (not like Leopard Geckos) and crack easily. Since, I figured that the eggs were infertile I didn't take much care in removing them.

I know that the females can retain sperm for quite some time (more than 4 months). I've had this particular female for a little over 2 months now. So, it is possible that she was with a male before she came to me.

Do infertile eggs smell bad when cracked? or Do infertile eggs have liquid in them? Sorry for my ignorance on this matter and thanks in advance for any help.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In my experience, infertile eggs DO have fluid in them, however, when candled (in a dark room, hold a flashlight up to the egg) you can see whether or not there is a developing creature in the egg.

Some eggs are harder to candle, some can't be candled until later on in the incubation period, and some can't be candled at all, as the shells are too thick.

erk

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info.

I'll be introducing a male to her enclosure in June. He is xanthic and she is het. I can't wait to see their little xanthic babies.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
FYI, i wasn't referring to different eggs from the same animal, I was referring to differences between eggs of different species; some can be candled and some others can't.

Also, when you say picta, are you referring to Chrysemys picta (painted turtle)?

erk

5 Year Member
I understood 100%. My comment about introducing her to a male was kind of "by the way...". Thanks again.

P. Picta = Paroedura Picta
Madagascar ground gecko, big head gecko, panther gecko, painted gecko, they have many common names.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
erk said:
P. Picta = Paroedura Picta
Madagascar ground gecko, big head gecko, panther gecko, painted gecko, they have many common names.

My mistake.
Much nice looking than the turtles, IMO :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus