• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Signs of hybernation

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello, I was just wondering what the signs were for hybernation, and what I should to to keep Zilla safe during her sleep?

She has been sleeping an awful lot lately, but when she does come up, she still moves around a lot and eats. However, she only eats every other day now, instead of every day. Also, I havent seen her poop or found any in her cage for days. Is that cause for alarm?

Also, I just put her in her new cage, so I was wondering if she is just staying burrowed extra long because its a new enclosure.

Either way, she is currently burrowed in the very coldest corner of the cage. I dont know what the temp is under the cyprus, but above it is 70-75 depending on the time of day, (when my heat kicks on) Should I dig her up and coax her to a warmer part of the cage? I dont want her to freeze. The last time I held her after she came up for food, she felt extreemly cold. Oh, and how do I make sure she still gets her UVB while she is underground?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know my tegu's are heading into hibernation when: they stop eating for a couple weeks, stay burrowed and asleep for long periods of time, and then eventually stay under. If your gu is eating every other day, then it's probably not going into hibernation, that's just my opinion though. To fix up the poop problem, get her in a luke warm bath, works every time for my gu's.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
She is only 4 months old. Do tegus that young stop eating for weeks before going into hybenation?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Woody was born in August and I haven't seen him in a week, he stopped eating two or so weeks ago. It happens I guess.

tresh

Our baby Ammy looks to be doing the same thing. Every few days when she comes out, we see if she wants to eat wet food, like liver or mice, and she doesn't really want to. we keep a stock of dried bugs in a dish in her cage, and she must be eating them at some point, but most of the time, she's been staying burrowed.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This thread should also be in the Hibernation Forum, the sticky at the top tells you what signs to look for and how to prepare.

As for her burrowing extra long it could be a combination of both adjusting to the new enclosure and possibly getting ready to hibernate. Temp wise as long as she has access to warmer areas I wouldn't worry about it. That area just maybe at temps she prefers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214