• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sick savannah

hanniebann

5 Year Member
I need some help. I've got a savannah monitor who i think i sick, he's gulping or something and i can hear congestion in his nose. He's not sneezing, his eyes are clear, and there's no odd mucus in his mouth. I've got his basking spot up to a pretty high temp, which he can easily get away from if he wants. He's not dehydrated and he's still eating his turkey and eggs (dusted as always) with a big appetite. He still enjoys his soaks and isn't impacted either. But he's not coming out to bask... He's keeping warm, and I've got plenty of UVB on him too. I've got a new exo terra 10.0 fluorescent bulb and a 100w powersun mercury vapor bulb, in addition to a 100w halogen bulb for extra heat. All are within the optimum ranges of distance :[

I'm worried that he may have been able to get sick from a mouse he ate? Is that possible? I fed him a mouse a few days before I noticed his symptoms.

If I'm way off or if this sounds like something you've heard of please let me know what to do. If it's just a "cold" and all I need to do is keep him fed, and extra warm, I'd love to stay away from an unnecessary vet visit.

I thought I was doing everything right.

Brandon12

I've had a similar problem. Would definetly be nice to know what's happening. He was doing the strange gulping bit and he sneezed every once in a while. It kinda went away on it's own, but every once in a while he will do it again. I hope someone here has a solution for you. If I might ask, what are your basking temps at? you did say they were high. But how high? And your humidity levels. Also, how big was the mouse? Is it possible it was too big and that could be causing all this? I feed both my Savannahs a strict mouse diet with the occasional eggs and insects, so I honestly don't think feeding him the mouse got him sick.

Although I could be wrong.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
The mice were maybe an inch and a half in body length. He's plenty big to be eating things that size, I'm very careful about how large his food is... As for the temp, I don't have an exact temp for sure, for humidity I've got a 5 gallon dish on the cool side, it is moderate humidity and he gets daily soaks. I'll purchase a thermometer/hygrometer and let you know in a couple hours what my readings are.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My savy sometimes does the gulping thing, I'm not really sure why or what the point of it is but its a healthy lizard! Usually its after meal time, maybe clearing left over food out? Every now and then my savy would sneeze, since I changed the substrate I haven't noticed it.
You said the eyes, nose and mouth were clear? What about its vent? If you haven't gotten your new thermometer yet I would strongly suggest a temp gun or a probe, the little stick on guys aren't very accurate. My savys first tank came with one and it was an 8* difference when I used a probe.
I don't think it was the mouse, you can never be 100% sure though. Do you have any other lizards or reps that eat mice? Do you usually get the mice from the same place? I feed my savy a couple fuzzy rats here and there, not too often I don't want it to become obese lol. I've never had any issues with feeding rodents.
I don't think your humidity wold be an issue either, I've got a large soaking dish I use since the humidity is a bit hard to keep up. When my savy sheds it spends more time in the dish, if it gets thirsty it goes to the dish. Are you changing the water daily and after BM's?
UVB is good, I use a 10.0 as well with an MVB bulb. Savys do not need to have UVB, but since it doesn't hurt I'm all for it!
You know your lizard better than we do, if you think it might be sick call and see if the vet can give you any info over the phone (they helped me with my beardie once over the phone) if not you might want to sched. a visit.. I hope your savy is alright, it doesn't seem like it really is sick though.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
Go to this link, I bought a thermometer with a probe today, and took some pictures of the temps and of the enclosure.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53761603@N06/

Thanks for your info so far guys!

hanniebann

5 Year Member
He's 22" total length. Substrate is a fine bark mixture. I don't feed him in the cage anymore, so I don't worry about impaction, should I with a finer mixture? during his daily soak in the tub is when he has a BM, I change his water in the cage every other day.

thomasjg23

Sounds to me like he has an upper respiratory infection. But Ive never had a savy!

Oops read that wrong UH edit: thought u said there is a strange mucus in his mouth not there is no!

hanniebann

5 Year Member
its a 125 gallon aquarium with wooden top. It holds in heat and moisture well. The mixture holds a deeper layer of moisture, he doesn't burrow, he just favors a hide that is next to his basking lights.

Brandon12

It seems to me that his enclosure is too small. Although im really no good with aquarium sizes i think he should be in something bigger. What are the estimated measurements?

Brandon12

Thats actually not bad. Although you may want to start looking into something for when he gets bigger. It seems i've gotten off topic. For the gulping and what not, i wouldn't worry too much about it. And don't let it keep you from feeding mice. I dont see any problems with the enclosure other than he will probably out grow it soon. By the way, Your monitor looks very good in the pictures. =P

hanniebann

5 Year Member
For the most part, everything I've done is right on to the savannahmonitor.org is that a reputable source?

and thank you!!! It's good to hear that I'm not doing something terribly wrong. lol.

Brandon12

I've never heard of it. then again, i've always just come here for my advice. another off topic question, How tame is he? How often do you handle him?

hanniebann

5 Year Member
He's pretty tame, mostly just skittish. He calms down pretty quick if I keep it quiet and don't move too quick around him. I got him last September as a rescue and he's made a lot of progress! He's never tried to bite me ever. I take him out daily for a soak, and to eat (every other day) but not lately since he's been sick. How often do you handle your monitors? and did you have an issue with them being really skittish?

Brandon12

I got my male from a pet store. He was in really Really bad shape, and lost a few nails because of his poor care. He was about a month old when i got him and i handled him several times a day. Now he's comming up on a year and relatively tame, I handle him daily. Whenever i stick my arm in his enclosure he runs at it, gives it a lick, then tries to climb up it. He has never bitten me, but does show some aggression to certain people. My female, i got from a friend of mine. shes alot older than my other one but is much smaller. Damn poor care. She's insanely aggressive and anti social. i wont touch her without work gloves. Just hates me. =I

As for the skittish, the male was abit when he was a baby. didnt really like to be picked up. And the female is just a spaz. Hard to pick up and hold.

hanniebann

5 Year Member
yea, mine just wants to run away all the time... I don't like having to move hides out of the way to get him and then waiting for him to calm down. I don't hold him roughly or restrain him, i know this scares them even more... but he always is trying to hide behind me, or in between the couch cushions and i don't know how to socialize him without terrifying him and permanently scaring him. how did yours acclimate? do you take him outside or around other people?

Brandon12

To be honest, im not sure why mine is the way he is. When i got him, i never left him alone. I took him from his hide, I was always watching him, i hand fed him for a while. I was just always bugging him. I plan on taking him outside, he's reached a good size that i dont think i'll lose him, plus the weather is starting to warm up. and people always want to see him. for some reason their absolutely fascinated by him. And i wouldn't take the hiding behind you personally. They like to poke around and explore. Whenever i have mine out he either slowly pokes around and wanders, usually exploring the couch cushions. Or crawls in my sweater and falls asleep. Well sometimes he likes to run around full tilt jumping and climbing everything. And attacking socks. I've heard of people just leaving there hand as a fist in the enclosure for long periods of time, to get them used to you being in there. Also, it is an aquarium, So he probably thinks he's being attacked from above.

I just realized that i talk alot. =P

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029