• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Show off your Caiman Lizards!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Personally I would not go smaller then 6x4x4 for any adult. I know I will some slack abut how that is too small, but for a healthy 5 foot arboreal/aquatic reptile I think it should be fine. A tegu needs more floor space because they do not use shelves and climbing branches, however a caiman lizard will. Getting the water section right is a bit tricky with less floor space to work with. Some people have used the water land tubs for adult cages.

Ripkabird98

chelvis said:
Personally I would not go smaller then 6x4x4 for any adult. I know I will some slack abut how that is too small, but for a healthy 5 foot arboreal/aquatic reptile I think it should be fine. A tegu needs more floor space because they do not use shelves and climbing branches, however a caiman lizard will. Getting the water section right is a bit tricky with less floor space to work with. Some people have used the water land tubs for adult cages.

OK, so an 8x4x5 is good.

Tannaros

Do you think it would be advisable to create a water area using an aquarium style with a pump? Or perhaps using a drainage pipe? I've been wondering about that recently, were I ever to devise an enclosure for a caiman.

I'd imagine the pump idea would be pretty inconvenient, as a pump that would work would probably be very big and noisey. Though I'm just wondering what one could do to give them a suitable area of water.

Ripkabird98

Tannaros said:
Do you think it would be advisable to create a water area using an aquarium style with a pump? Or perhaps using a drainage pipe? I've been wondering about that recently, were I ever to devise an enclosure for a caiman.

I'd imagine the pump idea would be pretty inconvenient, as a pump that would work would probably be very big and noisey. Though I'm just wondering what one could do to give them a suitable area of water.

When I Get one, I'm just going to use a Sump tank.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Ripkabird98 said:
Tannaros said:

I am not sure that will be good. Some plastics leach off chemicals. Use something rated for potable water or maybe a tree planter tub or a preformed fish pond.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Honestly these guys are so messy you want to keep with something that can be changed out almost daily. Think of how often a tegu eats and poops, that's a caiman lizard as well. Filters just are not designed to handle that, not to mention the bio load that filters do not remove. I use a cement mixing tub (the large kind) so that he can soak and then let him have swim time in the bath tub or the near by pond. They love water but so not need to have a deep pool 24/7.

Here are some more pics of Darwin after his swim time:

P3040150_zps3c9a227a.jpg

P3040134_zpsa1a0388f.jpg

P3040132_zpsc3faf2e7.jpg

P3040129_zpsf08d2a56.jpg

P3040144_zps4af34f97.jpg

Ripkabird98

Dubya said:
Ripkabird98 said:
Tannaros said:

I am not sure that will be good. Some plastics leach off chemicals. Use something rated for potable water or maybe a tree planter tub or a preformed fish pond.

A sump isn't even made of plastic... Sumps are made to handle massive amounts of waste. That's their reason for existence.

Tannaros

Ripkabird98 said:
A sump isn't even made of plastic... Sumps are made to handle massive amounts of waste. That's their reason for existence.

I'm not really sure what type of filtration you'd put in one to handle that sort of waste, but it's a good idea regardless - that way you have a very simple way to do water changes. Just throw a valve on it and change to a fresh solution.

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
I doubt you'll have any luck filtering the substrate and feces that is bound to get in the water tub. I agree with Chelvis, just get something that you can change frequently.

Tannaros

TegusRawsome80 said:
I doubt you'll have any luck filtering the substrate and feces that is bound to get in the water tub. I agree with Chelvis, just get something that you can change frequently.

I believe the substrate and feces is actually the easier part to filter. I believe the urates would probably pose a problem.

I wouldn't even really bother with concentrating too much on filtration with the sump tank - just use it as an easy access water change system.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I had rescued turtles in a setup with bask area on one side and majority of enclosure was underwater so they could swim/dive etc. I had a filter pumping plus had to do crazy amounts of full water change and cleanup even with two pumps going. All the guck on the sides and bottom plus mucking up the pumps/filters themselves. Pain in the booty. Thank god all 3 were able to be released but wow what a lot of work. The smell was atrocious even with keeping up with it. It somehow 'stays ' with the enclosure, esp if any plastics are used like the water/pond feature itself being plastic. Not saying do it or don't do it just saying this was with turtles and I imagine a large, meat eating lizard wouldn't be any 'easier '...so make sure something is built for easy cleanup and powerful filters and pumps where maybe filters are thowaway type insides not washable because as I said the odors linnnngggggeeerrrr. Yuck

Ripkabird98

I don't mean a sump tank like this: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ZOELLER-Sump-Basin-12U350?gclid=CLr2rYTL_7UCFetFMgodCQgASw&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Pumps-_-Sump,%20Effluent%20and%20Sewage%20Pumps-_-12U350&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=12U350&ef_id=USFokAAABeJESWo2:20130315204320:s

I mean a sump TANK. It's a massive aquarium (I would do one the same size as the Caiman Lizard tank, and underneath it). It has tons of filter media, bacteria, organisms, shrimp, plankton, etc. Fish too. Plants. It makes an ecosystem that filters out EVERYTHING. I've seen it done with Caiman Alligator, and it worked just fine. If done right, it will filter a Caiman Lizard tank just fine.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I used to put pond bacteria in my turtle setup. Also crayfish. They cleared a lot of the debris and nasty stuff on the bottom. I'm just saying it's work. Now I try to stick to easy upkeep pets :) mostly aquatic animals can be overwhelming for me to maintain in my old age :) haha.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
After a set-up like that for a sump it seems simpler to just do a daily water change.

I has seen those are large aquarium set up and for gators. For the average herper I just suggest the simple easy water change. Its less maintenance in the long run and less that can go wrong. Ideally it would be great to have a huge pound (talking 10,000 of gallons) with a strong filter because you have the dilution effect on your side.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980