• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shipyourreptiles?

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I haven't personally, but will be soon hopefully. From what I've heard, it's quick, easy, and a GREAT price.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'm definitely looking forward to this service. Robyn seems to be a stand up guy and I'm sure will stand behind his word.

Tux

5 Year Member
It's only been operational a couple days, a little early to be asking for reviews, try it out and let us know :p

Beasty

5 Year Member
I'm looking to possibly use the service on Monday to trade my Dumeril's Boa for yet another tegu. So far it says it'll save me $17+ which puts it right at the same price USPS charged for a box twice the size. If I had a lizard to ship, I'd go USPS but I don't have much choice as they don't ship snakes. So, $40 over $60 is good but be able to print your own label(+$5) and have a box already($20+ for kit shipped) or it will cost a MINT.
Although I don't like USPS tracking system, the price is better by far.

Shipyourreptiles.com using UPS

Snake to mail?
Box in hand? 11x9x6
Printer access?
Can drop off to UPS?
Shipping cross country,(1000 mi.+) next day= $40+-

VS.

Snake to mail?
No Box or bag, etc? (they charge about $20 and up to ship a kit to you)
No printer? (they charge for a label)
Can't drop it? ( they charge handling to pick it up at your door)
Shipping same trip= $70+...likely a bit more

USPS

Lizard sent 2200 miles in 18x18x8 box completely out fitted kit in hand= $40
Actually it was free because it was late...both ways.
Each animal was sent in weather freezing and far below.
We were lucky. Both animals are fine today as they were on arrival.
Here's the thread if interested:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3217" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3217</a><!-- l -->

While no system is infallible, I'm sure others will have stories of late package delivery from several sources. I personally at present will ship my lizards with USPS and if need be will ship snakes through shipyourreptiles.com using UPS. I'll update when I have sent the snake off.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The problem I have with USPS here is that they want me to drive the box to the airport (about a 30min drive). The transport guy doesn't want any mistakes and prefers I skip the local PO and take the lizards directly to airport so they can make sure it gets on the plane that night.

How do you deal with that issue in your area? Do you have a major airport, or does that even play a factor?

Pony

5 Year Member
I have JFK near me. I'm just so nervous about shipping! Terrified that I won't do it correctly and the poor thing dies

Beasty

5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
The problem I have with USPS here is that they want me to drive the box to the airport (about a 30min drive). The transport guy doesn't want any mistakes and prefers I skip the local PO and take the lizards directly to airport so they can make sure it gets on the plane that night.

How do you deal with that issue in your area? Do you have a major airport, or does that even play a factor?

I haven't been faced with that problem yet. That would put a damper on things for sure as I have a gas guzzler and the nearest big airport is SLC about 40+- minutes away. I do think I'll take it to the main branch in town next time instead of the local one. If they were to tell me to take it to the airport I'd go with a different shipper because I would lose gas AND wear on my vehicle VS paying extra with FedEx or UPS. The Post Office needs to tighten up or they're going to lose their butt. My Mom works for them and she's glad she's about to retire. They have so much crap going on they're likely to wind up selling out the ONLY self sufficient government agency! Sad part is it seems to be all bad management decisions, over and over.

argus333

5 Year Member
from what i gathered u need a special permit for ups and fed ex and even then sometimes they do not accept them. second im willing to bet it is still cheeper for u to drive 100 miles to a airport then to use fed ex or ups over night. keep in mind the hidden extra charges, like sat delivery and rural address charges. . i like bringing my reptiles to the airport cause it knocks out 1/3 of the trip. they go right on the next plane asap. less stress for lizard and me.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think that's why the transport guy likes me to bring them to the airport. I bypass any chance of screw-ups along the way. When I get there, they are literally waiting for me.

I only shipped through Fed Ex once when Repster was up and it was a nightmare! My local FedEx portal is really screwy when it comes to shipping reptiles. Hopefully this UPS deal will be better. I ordered some boxes and I have about a dozen corns that need to go somewhere else! :p I'll post a review on my experience with shipyourreptiles when I'm done.

BSM

5 Year Member
I have used usps to ship the kimberly rock, 1 male 2 females and 3 juv. yellow ackies and a few other animals without a problem, you just have to pack it right and they should be fine. I recently gotten a female Argus, the guy didnt pack it right but at least it got her fine.

Bryan

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu