• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding issues

Tinybonesx

Hi all. I’ve had ketchup my bw tegu for almost three years now. The last year and a half I have had her, she hasn’t shed much. It seems all stuck especially on her tail. I have tried everything. Soaks. Coconut oil. Increase humidity. Decreased humidity. She eats reptilinks, mice, blueberries, grapes, eggs, salmon as well as calcium without d3 and vitamins (once a week). I soak her maybe two to three times a week. Yet I can not get this shed off. I’m starting to worry and she seems very uncomfortable.
C969642A-C8F8-40C2-AE14-FD68024C86AE.jpeg

Attachments

• F4B8CD1A-889C-4D23-A668-0EED418161DC.jpeg
    F4B8CD1A-889C-4D23-A668-0EED418161DC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

TheTeguNovice

5 Year Member
TBH I think you listed 3 of the 3 suggestions I would have given to try. You also seem like a seasoned owner having owned her for 3 years now. Not sure what to suggest but to keep doing what you're doing in due time it will come off. Keep humidity high and keep soaking intermittently.

Tinybonesx

TBH I think you listed 3 of the 3 suggestions I would have given to try. You also seem like a seasoned owner having owned her for 3 years now. Not sure what to suggest but to keep doing what you're doing in due time it will come off. Keep humidity high and keep soaking intermittently.
Thanks. I forgot to add that I’ve tried the super b complex trick but that hasn’t worked either. I did try to grind it up but she won’t touch food if it’s coated in it. I stuffed them (whole tablets x2) in a mouse as a latch ditch effort. If that doesn’t work in a week or so I plan to take her into my work and see if the doctor can recommend anything else.

LizardStudent

I hope the super b complex helps, that's my go to for a serious shed problem. I would HEAVILY supplement it when my girl had issues, she was probably getting about 3 or more of the tablets a day roughly until she had a great shed. I would dip a mouse in raw egg and roll it in the stuff, she didn't like the medicine but couldn't resist what was underneath. Putting them in a mouse is a good idea too

Tinybonesx

I hope the super b complex helps, that's my go to for a serious shed problem. I would HEAVILY supplement it when my girl had issues, she was probably getting about 3 or more of the tablets a day roughly until she had a great shed. I would dip a mouse in raw egg and roll it in the stuff, she didn't like the medicine but couldn't resist what was underneath. Putting them in a mouse is a good idea too
I have tried mixing it with egg and she still wouldn’t take the powder and she LOVES eggs. I was worried that the tablets whole wouldn’t digest correctly and I figured that might be the reason it didn’t work the first time. I’m just scared to overdose the pills. But I will give her another week or so and maybe I will try stuffing the mouse with more tablets this time. Still going to bring her to my work to get her checked hopefully this weekend when the exotic vet is back.

Cookie

I have a tegu that has also had shedding problems and i tried all your method. I finally put him in a tub with really damp sphagnum moss for about a week and it worked.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Just a side note - I did finally just put whole Vit B complex tabs into ground turkey because my Skully is so picky with his food. I haven't noticed any probs with not digesting it.

I also used a balm that worked great to soften up Skully's tail that looked exactly like your pictures. It's called Wonder Balm. It has natural ingredients, I only use it on the tail, and it helped a lot. Kinda expensive, but worth it after worrying we might lose a tail, or get an infection. It contains anti-fungal, antii-septic, and anti-microbial properties. It's about $30 on Amazon - but goes a long way.
.....So - one of the members here thinks it's not good for Tegus, but I strictly use it as a topical, directly on the tail, and never ingested. I will continue it, especially since the risk of getting an infection seems so much worse. I mean, as adults, we ingest medicine all the time that has some fairly poisonous ingredients.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu