• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding help

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
My girls last shed was a weeks ago everything came off but her tail. I have been bathing her everyother day and none of it has come off. Any suggestions?

Oh she is on cypress mulch and the humidity is at 69%.

jor71

5 Year Member
Do you have a humid box for him/her to go into?

I think 69 might be low during shed. When mine sheds I usually have the humidity at 80% during the day and he burrows at night, so I keep it at 65 - 70 at night.

Also, improper diet can play a role on shedding problems.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
She does have a hide on the cool end. I am feeding her crickets, mealworms, ground turkey and pinkies.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
What I have been doing is while im feeding her in her feeding bin I will pour a cup of warm water in on the mulch and mix it and I will keep repeating until it is completely moist. Then later in the day after her bath I have been misting her.

kjphoto04

5 Year Member
Oh is there any trick like putting her in a warm damp towel or anything like that? I know with snakes you can put them in a warm damp pillow case, but I never have shedding problems with my snakes.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
kjphoto04 said:
Oh is there any trick like putting her in a warm damp towel or anything like that? I know with snakes you can put them in a warm damp pillow case, but I never have shedding problems with my snakes.
We've done the warm damp towel a couple of times and it works great!

Gx3

5 Year Member
Yea thats weird, my reds tail always sheds first then his body. Hows his diet? I feed mine cod liver oil a few times a week, and I'm assuming it helps because he has never had a shed problem.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
kjphoto04 said:
We've done the warm damp towel a couple of times and it works great!
OH wait! That works great with snakes but the Tegu's tails are much harder to shed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T.C.